PDA

View Full Version : My first German Silver Coin (Prussian actually)

Full Metal Digger
04-09-2018, 06:08 AM
Hi Diggers,
Yesterday I went out into the woods and picked a flat spot that looked good. My first good signal turned out to be my first German silver coin! It was so corroded I couldn't see any details. When I got home and started to clean it I realized it was in fact silver! AND it's my oldest silver coin ever (a record I hope to be breaking soon)! Here's a pic. HH, Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
04-09-2018, 07:10 AM
That's a pretty awesome coin, congrats!

MIKE54
04-09-2018, 08:12 AM
What a surprise Dave, almost 200 years old!I found a silver Romanian coin last year so you never know what's coming out of the ground.

Tony Two-Cent
04-09-2018, 08:18 AM
And so it begins! Congrats on your oldest silver coin, Dave! That is an incredible coin and it cleaned up well. And they will just keep getting older from here. I know you will soon find coins from the 1700s and older.

:congrats:

aloldstuff
04-09-2018, 08:47 AM
WTG Dave.....just a matter of time. Some questions for you....If I remember correctly you collect Thalers. Is there coin stores over there and are they specialized??? medevil, roman, current???

Digger Don
04-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Wow Dave. When I talked to you I pictured a black crusty coin. That thing is Beautiful!!!
Great job cleaning it!!:perfect10:
Congrats on your oldest silver coin ( so far) !!!

Lodge Scent
04-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Good one DD ! I hope it is a short-lived record.

Cheap Thrills
04-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Awesome coin Daddy ! I'm sure you'll be breaking that record soon .Can't wait to see your first gold .

Cooper
04-09-2018, 08:30 PM
Cleans up nice hope your record don’t stand long

RaZR
04-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Always cool to find an old foreign coin. Even cooler if it's silver and really old! CONGRATS DD.

It has the same look as an 1800's Canadian dime I dug up. Kind of gray and dull. It was when they were made with sterling.

Ill Digger
04-10-2018, 05:42 AM
Your Groschen collection is really going to start to grow now! That's a great find Dave!
Congrats! :grin:
It cleaned up pretty well considering that you said it was all nasty when you dug it. How did you clean it?

Bucknut
04-10-2018, 07:08 AM
Congrats Dave on your oldest silver! You did a great job cleaning it.

Full Metal Digger
04-10-2018, 09:43 AM
That's a pretty awesome coin, congrats!

Thanks DoD!

you never know what's coming out of the ground.

Ain't that the truth!

I know you will soon find coins from the 1700s and older.

I hope so too Tony. It will be an exciting day for sure.

Is there coin stores over there and are they specialized??? medevil, roman, current???

Al, I haven't yet ventured into any coins stores yet. I was talking to a coin guy the other day and he said there is huge annual coin show up in Frankfurt every year. I might try to go next time (but leave the credit card at home)!

Wow Dave. When I talked to you I pictured a black crusty coin.

It was VERY crusty Don. Can you believe it is only 22% silver content? The copper is 78% so a lot of corrosion had formed across the surface of the coin. See my answer below to Tim's question on how I cleaned it.

Good one DD ! I hope it is a short-lived record.

Me too! (fingers crossed)

Awesome coin Daddy ! I'm sure you'll be breaking that record soon .Can't wait to see your first gold .

I heard it's easier to find gold coins here than in America!

Cleans up nice hope your record don’t stand long

Thanks!

It was when they were made with sterling.

Hard to believe but the groschens are only 22% silver!

How did you clean it?

Good question Tim. You boil the corrosion off with a mixture of olive oil and 1/2 a fresh-squeezed lemon! I boiled it for about 2 minutes and the corrosion just wipes off with your fingers! I patted it dry and that was it.

Congrats Dave on your oldest silver! You did a great job cleaning it.

Thanks, I had to learn a new way to clean these old silver coins and I was shocked at how well it worked!

Fire Fighter 43
04-15-2018, 12:58 PM
I see you got yourself a modern silver, LOL. What we consider ancient here in the states they consider milled silver modern. Anyway, congrats on getting your oldest silver. I’m sure you will be beating that soon.