PDA

View Full Version : Found a musket ball spill

Full Metal Digger
04-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Hey Diggers,
I went back to musket ball hill to see what else I could find up there. I spent about 3 hours and found 18 more musket balls including a spill of 9! Later I noticed the spill was a smaller caliber than the others. Plus I found one that was "pulled" when it got stuck in the barrel. HH, Dave.

aloldstuff
04-09-2018, 02:35 PM
That's a lot of musket balls. :thumbsup02: Very interesting that you got one that was pulled. Do you think this was a practice area?

del
04-09-2018, 03:16 PM
That is a lot of round ball for one area no doubt its either a mustering spot , an encampment or an actual battle area ! I'd be curious as to what took place their , who knows maybe Napoleon had a skirmish in that spot !

Lodge Scent
04-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Pretty darn cool !

Digger Don
04-10-2018, 09:13 AM
You're on a roll Dave. It looks like you found a nice hot spot!!
I wonder what went on up there in years past.
Keep em coming. :congrats:

Ill Digger
04-15-2018, 12:11 PM
I'm still thinking it must of been a camp or training site of some sort.
Your onto a interesting site here Dave! Is this public land?
Congrats on the finds! :grin:

Fire Fighter 43
04-15-2018, 12:48 PM
Holy cow that is a lot of musket balls. Looks like you are have the time of your Detecting life. Good luck on your return trips.

Full Metal Digger
04-15-2018, 01:55 PM
Do you think this was a practice area?

I'm leaning more towards an encampment or muster area. Almost all the balls are drops. Only a couple have been fired.

no doubt its either a mustering spot , an encampment or an actual battle area!

Del, I think you are right on the money. In the late 1700's this area was controlled by the French. Odd that I found the British Lieutenant's button here...

Pretty darn cool !

Thanks, it's definitely a first for me!

I wonder what went on up there in years past.

I don't know but where are the coins!?

Is this public land?

Yes, in this part of Germany wooded areas are completely open to the public unless it's a special site (like a Roman ruins or castle) but we just go about a 1/2 mile away and start detecting there!

Good luck on your return trips.

Thanks! It's only a 1/2 mile from my temporary apartment so it's really convenient to go after work!

Cheap Thrills
04-15-2018, 03:18 PM
Hmmm..... something else I'll never find . Nice work Daddy !!