PDA

View Full Version : Blowing In The Wind...And Detecting!

Bell-Two
04-17-2018, 11:42 AM
Again the weather here in Ohio has been chaotic, a day of warmth, then rain next snowstorm and tornadoes! And the wind at times has been incredible, on a couple of warmer days we had constant 30-40 mph winds with gusts over 50 mph! Well if you want to detect you go and hope you don’t get blown away. We did a long trek, approximately a mile and a half through almost knee high corn stubble…well don’t let anyone tell you that detecting is not a contact sport! Caught my foot on a tough bit of stubble and down I went and did a face plant, broke my glasses and cut my cheek….but I carried on anyway. The site was on the 1870’s map and we found it right where I thought it would be….and nothing but junk…and more junk…one thing Diane did find a Cow Tag! We then went to another site and the only find was a sad iron that I carried out. We then went to an adjacent field and Doug was able to save our honor with a nice 1828 Large Cent! Our next outing was on one of those incredible windy days where we went back to the 1820’s field where we have done very well again we were not disappointed although the targets are getting fewer, I got an N/D Large Cent and Diane got a Conestoga bell. On the way out she found her first Native American Artifact a nice large Flake Knife. The next day was her birthday and what does a Dayton Digger do on her birthday? She goes out digging! We decided to do a couple of fields that we haven’t detected for some times, first was a bust, the second which we call the iron field lived up to it’s name but Diane did find a green disc, the size of a KG Half Cent but really wiped…we and others have not been able to give it an ID as of yet. The third field gave up a very nice 1865 Indian Head to my Deus. Hoping weather changes for the better but soon the fields will be planted and the season over.

https://youtu.be/O61Wdk0z7qE

Bucknut
04-17-2018, 12:35 PM
Great job Tony and Diane! You guys always do well in those fields.

aloldstuff
04-17-2018, 04:05 PM
You and Diane have survived the elements. Some nice finds as usual....:thumbsup02:

Tony Two-Cent
04-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Great variety of old coins and relics, Tony and Diane! The "Mystery Coin" is obviously a 1793 Chain cent! :thumbsup01:

I love the bell, the 1865 Indian Head as well as the flake knife! Good eye, Diane!

:congrats:

Cooper
04-17-2018, 04:40 PM
Wow hope you didn’t tear yourself up to bad that’s some cool stuff you pulled out of the ground

OxShoeDrew
04-19-2018, 06:11 AM
Finds all around! Happy birthday to Diane!