PDA

View Full Version : Under the park walkway

kenfen
09-03-2010, 01:18 PM
The park decided to do some capital improvements this year and one project was to tear up the walkway on one of the entrances and redo it. I knew that I'd find stuff because this is in the oldest section of the park that dates back to the 1820's. I named the site the Indian Village because I managed to find a few IH cents. My first find there was an 1849 Large Cent in decent shape. There was all kinds of stuff there, buttons, bullets and junk and one silver dime, a 1953 Rosie. The large cents were great. I had a great time hunting here, but I know that they took most of the great stuff to the dump with the rest of the dirt...oh well, I managed to save some stuff. I was just happy to be digging for more than state quarters for a change. lol Here's most of the stuff that I dug. This took me about 2 weeks of hunting to amass as they worked on the site and I hunted around them when they left.

English penny 1967
Large Cent No Date
Large Cent 1849

1943P War Nickel
1953 Rosie

8 IH pennies, one is an 1872 in decent shape

12 Wheat pennies ranging from 1920's to 40's

A coin that has been basically eaten by time

Center line: a chain (not sure what metal it is, but is not gold)

Right side:

Bullets, buttons and junk

One of the buttons is a Waterbury Federal service.
Matching cuff links or shirt studs, one with the the back still intact.

Regards, Ken

Here's the photo:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/Kenfen/Underthesteps2010.jpg

coinnut
09-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Nice finds!! :shocked04: Congrats on being vigilant. :clapping: I would still ask them where the dirt is going. Maybe they are spreading it out in some field somewhere. That 1872 Indian is a semi key date and a nice find. If they are not done, I highly recommend that you go back over the areas that you have already done and dig some iffy targets. I find that when I do construction sites, I always miss some. It's hard hunting on the machines. Most machines do not like disturbed dirt, so I always go over the areas in different directions and programs. Great finds :happydance01:

angellionel
09-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I hope you can find out to where it is they are hauling that soil. I can just imagine what you may find there. :shocked01: Cool finds! A return trip to work the same area can be worth the effort. thumbsup01

milco
09-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Timing is everything on those projects, glad you got to swing your coil over that dirt and pull out those awesome finds!

Cheap Thrills
09-04-2010, 04:40 PM
A very productive hunt . thumbsup01 thumbsup01