PDA

View Full Version : No coins, but new coil is a beast!

Digger_O'Dell
04-21-2018, 06:32 PM
Hi all,
Hot out to the beach today for maybe a half hour for a test run of my new 17x13 nugget finder coil on the TDI. All I can say is WOW, what a beast! Articles I read elsewhere pretty much all say that you can't use big coils on the TDI sl because there isn't enough power to drive them. Well, I guess my modded battery pack took care of that! The place is picked clean of pretty much anything worth keeping so just tried digging any target. First signal turned out to be a tiny flat rusted piece of metal around 18 inches down. Totally clear signal that could never be missed. Gotta say I'm really pleased with the performance and stability so far, and hoping it was worth the $500 price tag.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180421/0debf291e33fb8eb9df4088001bb511e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180421/3310413bef89b30da4c1b858d88ffcb9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180421/a25ae725c160008686d24aa1cacfa624.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BTV Digger
04-21-2018, 06:45 PM
Best of luck to you in the Sunshine State! That's a big coil. Rest that arm every now and then!

John

Cheap Thrills
04-21-2018, 10:13 PM
:shocked04: WOW !!! How many channels do you get with that thing ?

Digger_O'Dell
04-21-2018, 11:05 PM
:shocked04: WOW !!! How many channels do you get with that thing ?

Not sure, but I was sure getting a lot promising signals! :hystericallaugh:

Digger_O'Dell
04-21-2018, 11:27 PM
Best of luck to you in the Sunshine State! That's a big coil. Rest that arm every now and then!

John

Thanks John, but actually it's lighter than the CTX with the 17" coil on it. That setup I can still swing all day if I'm determined enough. But, I am checking out the Minelab pro swing 45 which might help, but I'm not sold on the idea yet.

Cheap Thrills
04-22-2018, 12:10 AM
Not sure, but I was sure getting a lot promising signals! :hystericallaugh:

I'm sure you will be getting a lot of signals .Probably car engines at thirty feet . I've got to hand it to you, you are serious and very committed . Not too long ago I could swing my WOT coil for a better part of a day , tonight , I swung my White's 950 coil for an hour and a half and was wishing I had brought my 5.3 instead .I guess it doesn't help that I'm older than the dirt I am hunting on .
That's some serious equipment you have there and I wouldn't be surprised if you came home with some of that shipwreck gold .I'm rooting for you !!:cheering:

Digger_O'Dell
04-22-2018, 12:53 AM
Thanks a lot! Funny you mention serious equipment though. Eyeballing a couple machines on eBay. One being a Minelab GPX 4500, the other a J. W. Fishers pulse 8x. I'm sure you know about the GPX, but few have ever heard about the J. W. Fishers machines. From what I've read, the pulse 8x is their latest and greatest commercial grade dive machine for salvage operations and professional treasure salvers. Yep, it's what the big boys use, even the dept. of defense and homeland security. Selling used about half of new price, used by a beach diggers do likely never even really got wet. Don't know if I would ever push the machines max depth of 200 feet though, at least anytime soon.

aloldstuff
04-22-2018, 05:08 AM
gosh...what a set up. Pretty sure I couldn't swing that "dish" all day long. Shipwrecked gold and maybe some Chinese food are in your future. Best of luck.

Digger_O'Dell
04-22-2018, 05:24 AM
gosh...what a set up. Pretty sure I couldn't swing that "dish" all day long. Shipwrecked gold and maybe some Chinese food are in your future. Best of luck.

Well, I did go ahead and buy the harness. Might help, might not. But I was actually thinking about sushi, it's been a while.
But, I did get a line on a new GPX 4800, or maybe a used GPX 5000. Have to wait a day or so on them to see how the auctions go. But I was thinking either one would really compliment my collection and allow some gold nugget hunting too since the GPX machines have that nice ferrous descrimination feature.

Fire Fighter 43
04-22-2018, 08:10 AM
Damm! I think I need to call NASA to report a space ship landing on the beach. Good luck with that beast.

Digger_O'Dell
04-22-2018, 08:19 AM
Damm! I think I need to call NASA to report a space ship landing on the beach. Good luck with that beast.

LOL, really probably looks bigger than it is. It's about the same size as the big coil on the CTX. But heck, I'll be almost within sight of Cape Canaveral. They're welcome to come have a look! Also, glad you liked the video! Figuring out the new editing software it took a long time to put it together. But think I'm starting to get the hang of it finally.

Full Metal Digger
04-22-2018, 09:42 AM
Holy shit! You gotta name that coil "Area 51" because it's a freakin' flying saucer! I can't wait to see the goodies you are going to find with that thing. HH, Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
04-22-2018, 04:15 PM
Thanks Dave, lol!
Also, seller agreed to my offer on a huge GPX 4800 package. Will update with details once deal is done.

Digger_O'Dell
04-22-2018, 11:25 PM
I did it, now a happy owner of a GPX 4800 with lots of extras!

del
04-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Congrats on the new coil !! How is your wrist with all that weight and on that very un-ergonomic "S" handle , Chris ? Its making mine hurt just looking at it ! :lol: I hope you do well with the new 4800 , I know the 5000 can be temperamental and susceptible to all kinds of emi unlike what your use to now . Keep us informed please.

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
04-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Congrats on the new coil !! How is your wrist with all that weight and on that very un-ergonomic "S" handle , Chris ? Its making mine hurt just looking at it ! :lol: I hope you do well with the new 4800 , I know the 5000 can be temperamental and susceptible to all kinds of emi unlike what your use to now . Keep us informed please.

Dan

Thanks Dan! Actually, the S handle didn't seem to bother me. With the big coin and battery pack out front it seemed to feel better with that more front heavy balance.
As for the GPX, I've been watching all the videos I could find and it seems the EMI issues arise from not doing the initial noise cancel when getting to a site. I would guess its mostly a side effect from being so sensitive.
Really can't wait to try out the ferrous descrimination on a couple ravine stream sites I've already tried and gave up on with the TDI looking for possible gold. Noth areas are loaded with small nails, bits of wire, and lots of rusty beer can shrapnel. But, it will have to wait for later in the year for that test.