PDA

View Full Version : Big old silver and other great relics! But it was a tad bittersweet.

BTV Digger
04-27-2018, 04:58 PM
Hi folks and hope all is well with you. Well, today was the only day I could hunt in between work, home chores and the weather being absolutely terrible up here. All the snow is long gone in the valley, but I've run into one of those streaks where all the nice days fall on the ones I'm working, while the terrible, rainy days are when I'm off. :disgusted: Anyway, it's raining once again up here as I type, but I was able to get in about 5 hours of hunting in this morning through early afternoon at a new permission site I landed recently. The 1812 house still awaits, but I'm reserving that for a sunny day off - whenever that finally occurs. Targets were slow but steady and included 12 flat buttons, a few buckles, thimble, and another nearly identical clock or cabinet skeleton key - just like the one I found last week. How strange! :shocked01: The broken silver plated item at right at about 3 o'clock I believe is a turn of the century suspender clip. The two coins were a decent 1900 Indian, and my wonderful find of the day - a 1900-O Barber Half Dollar! :yahoo:The only bittersweet thing is I seem to have nicked it pretty decently on the reverse. Ugh. Looking at the coin book, if it weren't for my nick the coin in it's condition (I estimate Fine to low-end VF) might fetch a few bucks (not that I sell anything). Anyway, thanks for looking and HH!

John

Lodge Scent
04-27-2018, 05:09 PM
Nice bunch of digs John! Still a great looking half. There is no law that says you have to look at the reverse side of the coin.

OxShoeDrew
04-27-2018, 05:12 PM
John, that half is a GREAT find regardless! I love that winder too! ...and the IH! :wow:

aloldstuff
04-27-2018, 05:44 PM
Great group of finds. Sorry to hear about your weather situation which I am sure will turn around. That's a lot of flat buttons, which I love to dig but I get not nearly enough of them. Two nice coins and getting a Barber 1/2 no matter what is fantastic. Now don't keep us waiting for the results of the 1812 house for to long....:lol:

Digger_O'Dell
04-27-2018, 07:17 PM
Great bunch of finds, and congrats on the half. Sorry about the ding, but it happens sometimes. Could be worse. Watch the latest Hoover boys video. One of the guys found a gold French coin, but broke it into 4 pieces with his digger. Ouch!

Bucknut
04-27-2018, 08:39 PM
You dug a lot of targets! Congrats on the big silver!

fyrffytr1
04-28-2018, 07:15 AM
Now that is what I call a great day. That half is very nice and I really like the buttons. Congratulations and good providence on your next hunt.

Cheap Thrills
04-28-2018, 07:50 PM
Sweet finds , Congrats !!

BTV Digger
04-29-2018, 05:07 AM
Nice bunch of digs John! Still a great looking half. There is no law that says you have to look at the reverse side of the coin.

That's true Jeff! Plus I gave it to my 14 year old son for his collection so I won't be reminded too often.

John, that half is a GREAT find regardless! I love that winder too! ...and the IH! :wow:

Thanks much Drew. Man, it was the best signal I've almost ever heard (tight VDI of 90). I remember saying to myself as I dug that I'd be really disappointed if it wasn't a big silver coin - and it was!

Great group of finds. Sorry to hear about your weather situation which I am sure will turn around. That's a lot of flat buttons, which I love to dig but I get not nearly enough of them. Two nice coins and getting a Barber 1/2 no matter what is fantastic. Now don't keep us waiting for the results of the 1812 house for to long....:lol:

Thanks Al. No, I'll get there sooner than later for sure!

Great bunch of finds, and congrats on the half. Sorry about the ding, but it happens sometimes. Could be worse. Watch the latest Hoover boys video. One of the guys found a gold French coin, but broke it into 4 pieces with his digger. Ouch!

Thanks man. Oh really? I'll have to check that video out.

You dug a lot of targets! Congrats on the big silver!

Thanks Jared!

Now that is what I call a great day. That half is very nice and I really like the buttons. Congratulations and good providence on your next hunt.

Yeah, it was a nice site and I'll likely return at least once more. Very mucky site though, so hard to stay clean.

Sweet finds , Congrats !!

Thanks!

fyrffytr1
05-03-2018, 09:53 PM
I'll get dirty for a silver half any time! Heck, I get dirty for pull tabs most days!:lol: