PDA

View Full Version : Old Nickels, Old Coppers,And A Couple Of Old Diggers!

Bell-Two
05-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Monday and Tuesday were beautiful weather days in Southwest Ohio so we got out and tried to take advantage of them and get in some hunts before the fields are planted. On Monday we hit a field where I have done well in the past but nothing turned up there. So we went to another of our old sites to see if we could squeeze out a few keepers more. This field is difficult to hunt with power lines nearby and the most mineralized ground of any of our fields. The Deus kept showing a fluctuating ground reading and between that, despite adjustments and the power lines there was chatter that only went away when you came across a target. Difficult to hunt but not impossible, I dug a mashed thimble and some brass bits and then got a short mid tone between the iron and was pleasantly surprised to dig an 1876 Shield Nickel. I had just mentioned to Diane a few days before that I hadn’t dug a Shield Nickel for quite awhile. The 1876 was the last of the Circulation Strikes after that only proofs coins were minted. Diane a bit later dug an 1887 Indian Head so we were both on the board. We then went to a site I hadn’t hunted for quite awhile and to my amazement three steps into the field bam I got another Shield Nickel this time an 1867. My next target was an Eagle Button with a fair amount of gilt on it. Diane got a couple of buttons too.
Tuesday was even warmer so we went to one of our fields that has given us great stuff every time we have gone there, but this time the signals have started drying up but I was happy with the two nice buttons I got and Diane also liked her buttons and thimble. We decided to go back to the field where I got my second Shield Nickel and we were glad we did. Diane started it off when she dug a Wheat Cent dated 191? while I was digging just some odd bits of brass and copper, and a part of a pocket knife . She then came over to me and said she had a big Copper but not a Large Cent and it turned out to be an 1857 Bank of Upper Canada Half Penny Token! Then she did it again with what was an1904 Indian. I guess that motivated me and I finally got a great signal and dug an 1845 Large Cent. A bit later I got a nice barrel tap followed up by an 1864 Indian Head. So I was very happy with our two days of detecting!

Lodge Scent
05-02-2018, 03:23 PM
Looks like those old diggers are tearing it up! Nice bunch of finds. Love the bank token.

aloldstuff
05-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Another successful hunt you two had. The weather has been wonderful here for the past two days but tomorrow RAIN. Congrats on your keepers, :thumbsup02:

Bucknut
05-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Wow Tony! Love those shield niks....still on my bucket list.

Digger_O'Dell
05-03-2018, 02:14 AM
Lots and lots of great finds. Love that bank token!

Cheap Thrills
05-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Great finds and well photographed .I really like the red cloth backround , it has a great effect .Congrats !

fyrffytr1
05-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Very nice assortment of finds. I'm partial to buttons and like your eagle. Indian wars, correct? Any backmark on it?

Bell-Two
05-04-2018, 07:54 AM
Very nice assortment of finds. I'm partial to buttons and like your eagle. Indian wars, correct? Any backmark on it?

Yes Indian Wars period...no back mark....no back on it...:shocked01: fortunately the front piece is ok but the back is long gone!

fyrffytr1
05-05-2018, 09:26 PM
Yes Indian Wars period...no back mark....no back on it...:shocked01: fortunately the front piece is ok but the back is long gone!

I know the feeling. My last good button didn't have a back on it either. But, the front was a Georgia state seal!

OxShoeDrew
05-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Nice goin' Tony! :notworthy:

BTV Digger
05-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Very nice haul Tony and Diane! Love all of the items. I dug the exact same Bank of Upper Canada Token a few years ago. They seem to be made of bronze and hold up nicer than many an LC.

John

Digger Don
05-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Wow Tony, you guys cleaned up!! What didn't you find?
Congrats on a bunch of awesome coins and relics!

Bell-Two
05-08-2018, 08:38 PM
I know the feeling. My last good button didn't have a back on it either. But, the front was a Georgia state seal!

Actually there is a back on it but pushed in when I said that I was thinking of another button. The back mark is Horstman Philidelphia

Oneil1979
05-09-2018, 07:14 AM
Nice haul for 2 days! I havnt dug a sheild nickle in awhile hmmm maybe next site, the bank half penny is cool and the eagle button is in good shape considering. Congrats

calabash digger
05-15-2018, 10:18 PM
great finds!