PDA

View Full Version : Colonial hunting with Del

coinnut
09-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Today was a gorgeous day out. Finally no heat stroke lol No bugs, no rain, no 98+ sun thumbsup01 We got to a site that has been pretty good to us and is an older site. Started at sunrise and my very first hit was a George II copper :shocked04: What a great start. I thought it was a large cent because it's about twice as thick as it should be. I guess it's the original attempt at making a coin ring out of it. :crying02: No date on it, but we know it should be in the 1730's. :happydance01: Got a good assortment of buttons, only one Tombac has a design. The pewters are shot. Found the world's largest safety pin :yes: Managed a 1905 Barber dime on the road. On a park day against the Master, I would have said Hah, I got a Barber and that trumps your Mercs lol, but at a cellar hole I just say :ticked: I want a Capped Bust Dime lol Had a great day out today and time sure flew.

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-04-2010, 07:56 PM
nice stuff G.makes ya wonder how those targets go undetected on previous hunts :confused:
one more closer to your goal! how'd Dan O do?

angellionel
09-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Those are some sweet finds, George. :clapping: Even the Barber dime coming from a cellar hole would have me smiling, though I know exactly what you mean that it should by right have been a Capped coin. lol The weather was definitely much better today, not like the oven we faced this past Thursday. :shocked04:stretcher:

coinnut
09-04-2010, 08:05 PM
nice stuff G.makes ya wonder how those targets go undetected on previous hunts :confused:
one more closer to your goal! how'd Dan O do?

Dan O found some good odd stuff. This copper I found was at about 7 and was angled for sure. The numbers bounce a certain way when it's angled or on edge. Add perfect pre sunrise ground conditions and some iron right next to it and it's no wonder it was missed. If I walked any other direction I would have missed it. The Barber was on a road that we didn't hunt before. It was real close to iron and was about 5 deep. Dan checked it with his DFX and said there are two targets real close together. I thought I had another copper lol, as the numbers are the same for large coppers and silver. The E Trac was hitting pretty good today, but I did run out of battery. Note to self: Get an extra battery :rolleyes:

Those are some sweet finds, George. :clapping: Even the Barber dime coming from a cellar hole would have me smiling, though I know exactly what you mean that it should by right have been a Capped coin. lol The weather was definitely much better today, not like the oven we faced this past Thursday. :shocked04:stretcher:

It's like night and day on the hunt. Thursday, you sweat just by being there lol Today, you could run a marathon and not sweat. See you later Summer and thank you Fall lol

del
09-04-2010, 10:12 PM
hey you found the pin to your diaper lol lol

nice day George , congrats on the extremely thick King George II :confused: and the barber dime . :clapping: :clapping:
and some decent relics

yes you couldn't ask for better weather (very cool with overcast and gentle breezes) to detect out in the woods :happydance01: :happydance01: we got some rain from hurricane Earle , but it just wasn't enough to soak the ground , just the leaves and maybe an inch or two down. Coinnut and i were discussing how the detectors would react if we didn't get enough rain :thinkingabout: . well to my dfx it made the iron sound very good :mad: so i dug alot of it today :bangahead01: :bangahead01: old cut nails , and the usual flatstock iron . but i did find a few targets mixed in with it , one was a small copper and tin medallion with what looks like maybe a ship :thinkingabout: :dontknow: (it a little hard to make out if anyone sees something different , please chime in) and the other was a deep tombac button . also in todays catch was a copper-alloy handledknife (without blade) 3 small calibur musket ball couple more buttons a spoon end and a lead and tin counterfiet of an 1812 classic head style large cent .

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-05-2010, 05:06 AM
the bobsy twins did good! :cheering: some neat and interesting stuff Dan!
the weather was great.no bugs either! :peace:

randy
09-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Nice hunt guys. That safety pin reminds me of the kind you would see in cartoons to fasten baby diapers.

John M
09-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Looks like a pretty clean site vegetation wise. Got some nice finds guys.Might just be one of those sites that you let cool down for a year or so and it opens back up.

tanacat
09-05-2010, 11:43 PM
hey you found the pin to your diaper lol lol

rofl I know you're getting him back for the 'depends undergarment' remark the other day

...tin medallion with what looks like maybe a ship :thinkingabout: :dontknow: (it a little hard to make out if anyone sees something different , please chime in)

Is there anything on the back of the medallion Dan? It does look kinda like a steam boat or barge, w/ the big '3 part sail' in the front and waves beneath.

tanacat
09-05-2010, 11:51 PM
No date on it, but we know it should be in the 1730's. :happydance01:

Congrats on all your buttons (does that make 507 from the button factory site?) barber and King George :clapping: Btw, what's your oldest coin?

coinnut
09-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Congrats on all your buttons (does that make 507 from the button factory site?) barber and King George :clapping: Btw, what's your oldest coin?

No we moved to our corral site, so the button count stops until next Spring when the ground is saturated with moisture. We'll go back then and I bet we get more buttons from there. My oldest coin has to be the French coin I found a couple of weeks ago, probably around 1660's give or take. Oldest datable coin is the coin I found with that French coin which is a Wood's Hibernia 1722 Half Penny.

del
09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Is there anything on the back of the medallion Dan? It does look kinda like a steam boat or barge, w/ the big '3 part sail' in the front and waves beneath.

Tana , when i first dug it i thought it has some very faint writing on the back but it turned out to be just crusty dirt . so its just plain on the back no writing .

sjv
09-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Great finds guys!! Looks like a nice area and clean cellar hole. Been a few months since I've been out.Can wait to go out with del now that the kids are in school. Who took the pics?, Dan? He has a nice camera. Maybe we can go out again coinnut also. Dan likes to go out Friday mornings while the kids are in school. See ya soon hopefully. Oh by the way, is that the spot we went to the time the 3 of us went out?

catskillcomics
09-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Great hunt guys... a plus on silver in the sticks!!

tanacat
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Hey King George, did you clean up that King George? lol Just curious how it looks now that you've scrubbed it with a wire brush :cheesysmile:

trout-hunter
09-16-2010, 07:08 AM
You guy's are the cellar hole kings. :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy:

coinnut
09-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey King George, did you clean up that King George? lol

:eyebrow: did you bow to the King? lol It looks as good as it did when I found it, even after the brass brush...crappy lol Actually I gave it a hot peroxide bath and only parted his wig with the brass brush, but the soil in that area isn't real nice on the coppers. That is the after cleaning picture :shocked04: It's all about location, and you are stuck with what you get. :(

You guy's are the cellar hole kings. :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy: :beerbuddy:

Thanks Ernie, we try hard, but sometimes we get more than other times. It's never easy, but it is lots of fun :yes:

tanacat
09-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Did you say you are a proud supporter of olive oil baths? lol Or is that Dave who's such a skeptic...

coinnut
09-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Did you say you are a proud supporter of olive oil baths? lol Or is that Dave who's such a skeptic...

Olive oil baths only work for people like you who have kind soil lol Our soil is so bad that some Memorials are unreadable :ticked: It laughs at olive oil ;) But seriously, if you have just dirt on your coppers, then olive oil is a great way to loosen some of that dirt. I've seen some of the early Wheats and Indians from the midwest, that still have a nice brown color to them. Olive oil would be ideal then. But for us greenies olive oil would need 3 years to even begin to work lol I can't wait that long - where's that Dremel tool? rofl

Cheap Thrills
09-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Great finds George . I always love seeing those pictures of where you guys hunt , great pictures of great scenery . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

tanacat
09-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Great finds George . I always love seeing those pictures of where you guys hunt , great pictures of great scenery . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

I second that emotion!

Olive oil baths only work for people like you who have kind soil lol Our soil is so bad that some Memorials are unreadable :ticked: It laughs at olive oil ;) But seriously, if you have just dirt on your coppers, then olive oil is a great way to loosen some of that dirt. I've seen some of the early Wheats and Indians from the midwest, that still have a nice brown color to them. Olive oil would be ideal then. But for us greenies olive oil would need 3 years to even begin to work lol I can't wait that long - where's that Dremel tool? rofl

lol @ the dremel tool. So is your soil more acidic? You are closer to the ocean? :thinkingabout: I'm not even sure exactly where you live, just that you are near the east coast?

Doesn't it vary in any ecosystem due to the soil types in that area? Like where deciduous plants vs coniferous plants grow, clay soil vs sandy, etc... I'd like to know more about soils and geographic effect on coins/metals... Know where to start, have you found any good info?

del
09-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Tana , George lives in a cave lol :tongue: just 10 to 15 minutes north of me , into Massachusetts and yes the soil can vary to very mineralized to pretty mild in other areas but years of acid rain in the past can do a number to some metals .copper because of its properties can take a beating especially when theres more clay in the soil , it holds the water , while the sandier soil drains much better and the coins will hold up well.

the best advice i could give to you Tana is don't let George clean your coins lol rofl

coinnut
09-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Tana , George lives in a cave lol :tongue: just 10 to 15 minutes north of me , into Massachusetts and yes the soil can vary to very mineralized to pretty mild in other areas but years of acid rain in the past can do a number to some metals .copper because of its properties can take a beating especially when theres more clay in the soil , it holds the water , while the sandier soil drains much better and the coins will hold up well.

the best advice i could give to you Tana is don't let George clean your coins lol rofl

Hey, it's my cave and I own it so :tongue: We have acid rain and a combination of bad drainage and other minerals which combine to make copper salts which eat coins. And for the record, when Dan ruins his coins he blames the soil. When the soil ruins my coins, Dan blames me :rolleyes: What a smuck rofl

tanacat
09-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Acid rain... I guess it would be worse around there because of more population/industry/like as in you're closer to NYC :huh:

I'm sorry but I'm skeptical about the acid rain eating your coins more than would here.... To think of it being that bad some places depresses me, it's prob true.... I remember catching rain in a cup and drinking it about 40 yrs ago :-\

jkress
09-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Awesome finds!!

You guys have motivated me to do a few cellar hole hunts this fall. It is possible that 2 out of the 3 places I have discovered have been hunted, but one of them I doubt. Can't wait until the skeeters come down a few notches!!

Congrats on your treasures.

coinnut
09-18-2010, 11:06 PM
I remember catching rain in a cup and drinking it about 40 yrs ago :-\

Well that explains everything rofl :angelic:

KirkPA
09-21-2010, 04:16 PM
That is what I call a Colonial success. <: :happydance01: I love the chape and the copper is dandy as well. :clapping: Fall is here, man, and the fields are getting ready for the picking. Take care, George!

Kirk

coinnut
09-21-2010, 05:17 PM
That is what I call a Colonial success. <: :happydance01: I love the chape and the copper is dandy as well. :clapping: Fall is here, man, and the fields are getting ready for the picking. Take care, George!

Kirk

Thanks man. Fall is the best time of year for hunting, (next to Spring thaw that is lol) I'm really liking the no bugs, and flies weather. Good luck to you guys in them fields!!!

tanacat
09-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Well that explains everything rofl :angelic:

HA HA Just saw that lol