PDA

View Full Version : 1600s farm hunt

catskillcomics
05-20-2018, 12:11 PM
Went back to my wife's Aunt's home, back into the woods where are 4 terraced fields surrounded by Stone walls..each is about 100 yards long.. lots shell casings, hard to believe I haven't found 1 single button. But I did find a couple relics, the Bulldog pin was a surprise. I have one more field to go way up top maybe better luck there next time. Happy Hunting

Cheap Thrills
05-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Nice hunt , The Bulldog pin reminds me of Buster Brown's dog Ty . Good luck on that field up top .

Digger_O'Dell
05-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Nice finds! Like that pin, and the round buckle looks very unusual.

OxShoeDrew
05-20-2018, 04:37 PM
I LOVE finding gag swivels or loops! Quite rare! Congrats!

aloldstuff
05-21-2018, 09:10 AM
I just found out about the gag loops myself. Looks like an easy swinging area. Good luck on that other field.

catskillcomics
05-21-2018, 12:47 PM
What exactly is a gag loop? I know its for horses, but what's it's purpose.. and as for the round buckle I assume it for horses as well, just don't know exactly for what.

I just found out about the gag loops myself. Looks like an easy swinging area. Good luck on that other field.

del
05-21-2018, 02:44 PM
What exactly is a gag loop? I know its for horses, but what's it's purpose.. and as for the round buckle I assume it for horses as well, just don't know exactly for what.

Gag loops or swivels were fastened high up onto a horse's bridal harness to hold a set of reigns that went onto a special horse bit (gag bit) to train the lead horse to follow commands . when the reigns were tugged on it forced the gag bit to do just like it sounds making the horse comply with the command . It usually were put on new horses or unruly tempered not use to pulling a wagon or team .

OxShoeDrew
05-21-2018, 03:34 PM
You're wrong, Dan! It's a sword hanger!! :hystericallaugh:
Sorry, old joke.

del
05-21-2018, 05:51 PM
Sorry, old joke.

:lol: the old adage comes to mind with some folks , Drew ..... you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it ! :lol:

BTV Digger
05-21-2018, 06:46 PM
What a beautiful area and congrats on the early horse tack. Love the gag swivel. Never found one of those myself.

John

calabash digger
05-21-2018, 08:35 PM
great hunt!

catskillcomics
05-22-2018, 06:17 AM
Thanks Dan

Gag loops or swivels were fastened high up onto a horse's bridal harness to hold a set of reigns that went onto a special horse bit (gag bit) to train the lead horse to follow commands . when the reigns were tugged on it forced the gag bit to do just like it sounds making the horse comply with the command . It usually were put on new horses or unruly tempered not use to pulling a wagon or team .

Digger Don
05-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Great hunt!! That Bulldog looks a bit scarey.lol
Looks like a great area to hunt!

The Rebel
05-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Every time I see one of these posted I remember that whole flame war. Still cool to find!

Sorry, old joke.