PDA

View Full Version : Celar hole hunt with the Equinox 800

Fire Fighter 43
05-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Hello Relic Hunters! I do not post much in the relic section but I recently got permission to hunt a cellar hole that dates back to about 1850. Here are a few photos of my finds after a 3 hour hunt. The plate is about 3” X 4” and is for Marshmallows of all things. I’m guessing it was off of a wooden box or maybe a store display. The other notable find was a 1920 dog tax tag. Can anyone I.D. the two matching buckles to the right? Are they shoe buckles? I thought the Equinox preform really good in the iron around the old site.

Digger_O'Dell
05-20-2018, 01:26 PM
Good finds, and lots of interesting buckles. Finding a cellar hole in our region is a rarity in itself, much less being able to find anything left. Those oval buckles are pretty cool, and sure look old. Don't know what's up with all the old clock gears around our area, I got a box full! Glad to hear the nox is working out so well. Love to hear your comparison between the nox, deus, and CTX since you've used them all.

Cheap Thrills
05-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Cool stuff ! Wow , there's been a lot of marvelous finds going on with these new Nox machines .

OxShoeDrew
05-20-2018, 04:23 PM
That dog tag is old to be colorful! Those buckles look too thin/small/flat to be shoe buckles but I'm no expert. I bet you continue to score at that site, Jeff!! :clapping:

Fire Fighter 43
05-20-2018, 08:39 PM
Good finds, and lots of interesting buckles. Finding a cellar hole in our region is a rarity in itself, much less being able to find anything left. Those oval buckles are pretty cool, and sure look old. Don't know what's up with all the old clock gears around our area, I got a box full! Glad to hear the nox is working out so well. Love to hear your comparison between the nox, deus, and CTX since you've used them all.

I would like to get a few more hours with the Equinox and some time in the water with it before I make any comparison. I will say this, I’ve had no desire to go back to the Deus or the CTX since I’ve figured out the settings for the Equinox.

Lodge Scent
05-21-2018, 07:42 AM
Love that marshmallow plate! I think those two thin buckles are sash buckles.

aloldstuff
05-21-2018, 08:39 AM
Marshmallows items are a very collectible. Nice find. Is that your oldest dog tag?

BTV Digger
05-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Nice cellar dig '43! I'd agree with Jeff that those are Victorian to early 20th century sash buckles/clips. Hope you have a few more shots to hit that site.

John

calabash digger
05-21-2018, 08:36 PM
congrats on the hunt!

del
05-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Congrats on the cellar hunt ! you did very well Jeff :yes: That is a lot of high vdi targets to be finding on your first visit I bet there are a few coins and other nice relics laying around there . The "twin" buckles are indeed late Victorian to Edwardian era ladies "faux" shoe buckles . I'd be returning to that place if it were me . Its nice to see you post here in the relics area !

Dan

Digger Don
05-24-2018, 09:14 AM
Great bunch of finds, Jeff, especially for a short hunt.
Congrats