PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got Internet So Let's Catch up With My Finds From May

Full Metal Digger
05-26-2018, 03:41 PM
Hey Diggers,
May has been a good month for me! I have found another French campsite from the 1793 battles, a Roman site, plus another medieval coin or two. I also have another Bronze Age item that is just simply gorgeous. Lots of pictures. I hope you enjoy them!

The sickle blade is not a rare find. Google "double knob sickle blade" to see other examples online. A Bronze Age axe is next on my dream list!

The two rings are French and were found in the French camp from 1793. The blue stone is glass and there are Fleur-de-Lis symbols on the side. The other ring has 3 Crusader Crosses. Both were found about 50 feet apart but probably not lost by the same soldier.

The clay pipe is late 1700s and was also found in the camp. It was about 1 foot deep and the copper wind cap was still attached and that is how I found it!

I'm very disappointed that my first Roman coins look so bad. The soil is very acidic here and doesn't show much mercy to copper coins.

Bucknut
05-26-2018, 06:56 PM
Unbelievable! You will never want to come back to the USA now just to dig mercs and Rosie's!

Digger_O'Dell
05-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Wow, unbelievable finds! That pipe is museum material for sure! Awesome coins and relics. Just wow!

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2018, 10:23 PM
Much ,much , much better than my recent finds !:lol: Congratulations !:perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
05-27-2018, 06:39 AM
UNREAL, DAVE!! :drool:

Noah
05-27-2018, 09:06 AM
I'll trade you for some Rosies:lol:

aloldstuff
05-27-2018, 11:41 AM
I got merc's for trade.:lol: Glad to see you are up on the internet. How many years you going to be over there????

Full Metal Digger
05-27-2018, 12:14 PM
How many years you going to be over there????

3 years.

Donnie B
05-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Wow! Stunning finds!

aloldstuff
05-27-2018, 04:39 PM
3 years.

Seeing what you have unearthed so far....in three years you could open a museum

BTV Digger
05-27-2018, 07:12 PM
So many layers of history there Dave and just great finds! I'm very impressed how quickly you've educated yourself on what signals to dig, and more importantly, where to dig in your new temporary land! How much of your success would you attribute to personal hard work vs. help from local detectorists etc.?

John

Full Metal Digger
05-27-2018, 10:15 PM
How much of your success would you attribute to personal hard work vs. help from local detectorists etc.?

John, That's a really good question/point. I already knew HOW to detect. That's 100% me. Switching from the e-trac to the Deus wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. I already knew how to listen for faint signals and the difference between a "good" sounding target and a "bad" sounding target. The key is a couple local guys (Americans) showed me WHERE to detect and how to find my own spots to detect. That's 100% them! They took me to sites where I could fine Roman, Medieval, and French relics. Once I saw how they found spots I just copied their technique and started finding my own (which I share with them).

wisconsin digger
05-28-2018, 10:56 PM
Congrats on all the finds. WD

Digger Don
05-29-2018, 09:09 AM
:wow: reading your post I felt like I was reading a metal detecting magazine!!
You're killing over there in Germany.:envious:
Can't wait to see what you dig next!!

del
05-29-2018, 09:40 AM
Amazing coins and relics Dave !:envious::smitten:Does there seem like as much competition (popularity) for detectorists as it is here ?

Tony Two-Cent
05-29-2018, 10:47 AM
So many amazing coins and relics it's hard to pick a favorite! Any of them could/should win coin or relic of the month. It will be hard for you to come back to the USA in three years and dig Mercs and Wheaties! :lol:

I especially love the Bronze Age sickle blade and the clay pipe! So much history in all of your finds, it blows my mind!

Keep it up, Dave! I can't wait to see what you find next!

:perfect10:

The Rebel
05-30-2018, 06:51 PM
Man it must be so awesome to dig relics that predate the 1st settlers in the new world!

Full Metal Digger
06-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Amazing coins and relics Dave !:envious::smitten:Does there seem like as much competition (popularity) for detectorists as it is here ?

Dan, there are 2 sides over here. Guys like me who love history and the thrill of the chase. The other group we don't have much of in America. They nighthawk the protected sites and are purely in it for profit and pillaging. I have to be very careful to keep from getting lumped into the wrong group by those who don't know the difference. There isn't much competition between us regular guys because the finds are easy enough to find if you try.