PDA

View Full Version : New hope?

Cheap Thrills
06-03-2018, 02:39 AM
This evening , I drove to the next town just to check up on an old site . It's a school built in 1934. Up to know I've dug about a dozen wheats , a bit of clad and a 1935 Merc there .They had tore out a patch of Ivy a while back and all I found was a little more clad .
In that cleared section they put in wood chips and planter boxes and are now growing vegetables ( so that killed off that section for hunting ) . I thought Id take a ride over there this evening and see if they had cleared more .I figured they hadn't but I thought , if not I would try out my Grandsons F2 ( nice and light) in the wood chips play equipment spot , as long as there were no kids there ( it turned out there was ) . Well lucky for me they had cleared out another patch and I worked it for two hours .
I had tried out this detector for the first time recently at another location using the 4" coil in trash. I was trying to see if I could pull a silver or two , no luck . Over the years I had pulled a few nice silver coins out of there but none now for quite a while .I spent 4 hrs. swinging that little coil there and pulled out two clad dimes . The two clad dimes where quite a ways away from that main area I was hunting .I have no desire to hunt that area again .
I found the detectors tones very confusing as they never seemed to hold onto the same sound . I found that to be true again his evening also ( tonight I was using the 8" concentric rather than the 4" concentric ) . My copper pennies had tones and ID'd as dimes , while my one silver dime had a zinc undertone . There was a lot of iron there , I was digging everything registering over iron . I dug a lot of junk but surprisingly enough ended up with the silver Roosie , 5 wheats , 3 memorials , a Chinese coin and 2 stinkazincs .The targets ranged from 2" to 5"
deep .
On my next trip there I'm going to bring an Explorer with either the 6" or 6x8 Detech coil . I would hope to get more significant depth and possibly find more goodies . I will let you know what happens on my next attempt .

Of course the picture of the trash came out better than the coin picture . :girlcry:

OxShoeDrew
06-03-2018, 03:48 AM
What does the Chinese coin look like, George? Modern? Does your grandson detect often?

aloldstuff
06-03-2018, 05:17 AM
From your description of the tones I'd be digging everything. You stuck with it though and got your rewards.
Nice picture of the trash.....:lol:

Cheap Thrills
06-03-2018, 03:59 PM
What does the Chinese coin look like, George? Modern? Does your grandson detect often?

Modern , very common and I believe probably still in use . It's pretty crudded up besides being slightly bent . I'll try to clean it up and post it tonight after I detect . Right now I'm taking a break from a series of Honey do's the boss has going for me .

My Grandson doesn't have much desire at all to metal detect but he's almost , if not , a world class video gamer . His Dad plays them a bit too ( I'm sure in the virtual world they have saved the Earth from destruction hundreds of times ):lol: .My Granddaughter likes to but she doesn't live close by so we don't get to go very often .:bummer:

Cheap Thrills
06-03-2018, 04:05 PM
From your description of the tones I'd be digging everything. You stuck with it though and got your rewards.
Nice picture of the trash.....:lol:

Thanks , that is probably one of my all time best photos . I'm really curious to see what Mother Earth spits out tonight (probably just spit).

OxShoeDrew
06-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Too bad about your granddaughter living far away. I have a granddaughter due soon near you...sadly I live in CT.

wisconsin digger
06-12-2018, 11:30 AM
Don't believe I have ever found a Chinese coin. Congrats on all the finds WD

Ill Digger
06-18-2018, 07:19 PM
Not a bad hunt George. Theres always hope. You managed a shinny dime and a few wheats. :thumbsup02:
Can't complain about that.
Congrats :grin:

How'd the return trip go? Just spit? Or did you find some good shtuff? :huh:

Cheap Thrills
06-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Not a bad hunt George. Theres always hope. You managed a shinny dime and a few wheats. :thumbsup02:
Can't complain about that.
Congrats :grin:

How'd the return trip go? Just spit? Or did you find some good shtuff? :huh:

I actually posted two trips that followed that one and actually found a nice Merc on both along with a lot of wheats .The posts got buried pretty quick though by all the fabulous stuff the superstars here are finding .I've had a couple of more trips since but just a couple of more wheats , some regular Nickels and a very few pieces of junk .I'm about to head out there again for a couple of hours or til' I can't stand it any more . If I find another Silver I'll post it . Thanks for looking Tim.:detecting: