PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Chicken!!!!

Donnie B
06-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Went back with Danny to Danny's GW site yesterday. I got a couple of nice cuff links including one with a stone. I also got ANOTHER 1789 George Washington Inaugural button. It's almost complete but folded over on itself flat. You can see the head of the Eagle and the leg holding the arrows in this photo. Talk about an ugly chicken!6443864439 I also got two coppers one of which was Half Cent size but they are completely smooth. No identification possible.

Tony Two-Cent
06-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Another one?!!!! :wow:

Will it be pliable enough to straighten, or would it break? Or maybe you should just leave it as found since a Colonial-era citizen made it that way.

Bucknut
06-08-2018, 02:33 PM
I wish I could find an ugly chicken! What a spot! Congrats again!

Cheap Thrills
06-08-2018, 02:50 PM
:congrats:Nice going on the chicken Tamale !

Donnie B
06-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Another one?!!!! :wow:

Will it be pliable enough to straighten, or would it break? Or maybe you should just leave it as found since a Colonial-era citizen made it that way.

I'm almost 100% positive that it would break if it was straightened. I even asked a very well known preservationist and he stated that it would break into two pieces if straightened. He does amazing work with relic restorations and that was his opinion. I have placed a very thin coat of Renaissance Wax on the button. It had to be very thin in order to preserve the contrast so you could see the Eagle. I'm going to leave it as it is and display it with its unique "character." I have learned the hard way that most of time "less is more" when preserving relics.

BTV Digger
06-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Geezums Donnie. Save a few for us rookies why don't ya! What a great site. Yeah, I'd think since the button's bent past 90 degrees that any attempt to straighten it would do more harm than good.

John

OxShoeDrew
06-09-2018, 01:12 AM
:shocked04: Holy shmoly!!! You're giving me hope that one day I might find one! Huge congratulations!

aloldstuff
06-11-2018, 09:38 AM
GW buttons are popping up on a regular basis....:thumbsup02:. Congrats on the "ugly chicken".