PDA

View Full Version : Another Farthing

Lodge Scent
06-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Funny how that goes. Hadn't found a farthing in many years then I find one in back to back hunts. Felt good to get out, it's been a while. Though, now that temps are in the 70's, I am wishing they were back in the 20's :) . I am liking the high frequency coil I got for the Deus.

Jeff

https://i.imgur.com/P1ZV8BD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MJompLs.jpg

Full Metal Digger
06-10-2018, 09:06 PM
Very nice! Congrats on such a great find. Which frequency did you use with your HF coil?

Digger_O'Dell
06-10-2018, 09:41 PM
Good looking farthing, congrats! Glad to hear the new coil is working out for you.

OxShoeDrew
06-10-2018, 11:51 PM
Looks like there's some meat on that, Jeff! How's the obverse? :clapping:

Donnie B
06-11-2018, 06:02 AM
Congrats! Beautiful details on the reverse!

Digger Don
06-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Congrats on a great looking coin.
I would love to see a pic after cleaning.

aloldstuff
06-11-2018, 09:40 AM
Great hunting Jeff. Were both farthings found in the same spot?

Tony Two-Cent
06-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Nice looking Farthing! The date is very clear. I would be smiling for a month if I ever found a coin that old!

:congrats:

Lodge Scent
06-11-2018, 12:13 PM
Thanks Gents!

Very nice! Congrats on such a great find. Which frequency did you use with your HF coil?

DD, I used 28 kHz on the 10" HF coil. That seems to be the sweet spot. Disc at 10 and Reactivity at 1 is great for me in all but the heaviest of iron.

Looks like there's some meat on that, Jeff! How's the obverse? :clapping:

Obverse about the same Drew. Good detail but very thin patina. It will look better with the dirt left on for contrast in my opinion.

Great hunting Jeff. Were both farthings found in the same spot?

Different sites Al. Both sites I (and others) have pounded for years. But I don't thing it's a coincidence that the HF coil sniffed them both out when everything else missed them.

Cheap Thrills
06-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Congratulations on your second Farthing ! :thumbsup01: Unfortunately the closest I'll ever come to duplicating that feat is repeated flatulence .:yes:

OxShoeDrew
06-11-2018, 04:58 PM
I run water on all my coins now, Jeff...that's it...no tooth brush, nothing. I look at it this way...when my coins get handed down a few generations they'll be interested in not only the coin but the dirt their great-grand-pappy saw on that coin :lol:

OxShoeDrew
06-11-2018, 05:29 PM
Congratulations on your second Farthing ! :thumbsup01: Unfortunately the closest I'll ever come to duplicating that feat is repeated flatulence .:yes::lol:

BTV Digger
06-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Very nice Jeff! Indeed, this hobby can certainly be strange at times.

John

Lodge Scent
06-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Congratulations on your second Farthing ! :thumbsup01: Unfortunately the closest I'll ever come to duplicating that feat is repeated flatulence .:yes:

HA! :lol:

I run water on all my coins now, Jeff...that's it...no tooth brush, nothing. I look at it this way...when my coins get handed down a few generations they'll be interested in not only the coin but the dirt their great-grand-pappy saw on that coin :lol:

That's right Drew, it's all about the dirt! I used to scrub every molecule of dirt off. Now I preserve the dirt with Ren wax :grin:

Very nice Jeff! Indeed, this hobby can certainly be strange at times.

John

Amen to that John. I rarely find Mercs in the woods, but once found three 1916 Mercs in the same week. Of course none had a "D".

Oneil1979
06-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Nice coin, managed a few last year but none that detailed, I also use to be methodical in removing all the dirt but now I give it a quick brushing and thats it. Always fun to hit the 1700’s congrats

Lodge Scent
06-13-2018, 06:00 AM
Nice coin, managed a few last year but none that detailed, I also use to be methodical in removing all the dirt but now I give it a quick brushing and thats it. Always fun to hit the 1700’s congrats

I'm with you Oneil. Preserve the dirt :thumbsup01:. Yep, I never get tired of seeing a "7" at the second digit from the left. Thanks.

del
06-13-2018, 05:07 PM
Congrats on the farthing Jeff