PDA

View Full Version : Eagle button of some sort...

Bucknut
06-21-2018, 09:46 AM
I found this last night at an old site and I knew right away it was old. When I got to my car I thought I could see arrows on it. Looking at it closer under my loop and giving it a peroxide bath I can see more of the wing and head of the eagle. It is a 1 pc convex style button.

Now my question for you old military button gurus is what is it exactly? (the word "old" describes "military buttons" NOT "gurus". :lol: I'm thinking it might be older than civil war but not too sure.

I still need to pick at it more and I might give it another peroxide bath. Any suggestions on ways to clean it up. I realize it is very crusty so it might be hopeless but I rarely find these sorts of things so I want to be sure to take care of it as best as I can.

aloldstuff
06-21-2018, 11:14 AM
I sure to wish I could you help you out with the age. Below the head is a shield, if you could pick at that area some some there might be a letter in the shield which would indicate A=artillery, I=infantry, D=dragoons. The neck looks like what some people call a chicken neck which might be an older style. Great find, be gentle with it.....:thumbsup02:

Ill Digger
06-21-2018, 05:44 PM
It looks like a oldie! I wonder if Dans CLR recipe would work on it. It looks like it's just a crust on it. Specially being a one piece button. They are usually a more stought button than the 2 piece buttons.
Congrats Jared! :grin:
Sweet find!

del
06-21-2018, 08:39 PM
Don't use CLR on this ! let the button dry out good , it may start to "shed" off the dirty crust on its own . The button is either an infantry or artillery (very doubtful its a dragoon) These type of 1-piece convex buttons date from 1821 to about 1834 . Its a great piece of history .

Try and pick off the most you can with a toothpick first , if you have to do more try soaking in hot water of luke warm peroxide and picking .

the button should loo very similar to this one 64500

Dan

Bucknut
06-21-2018, 08:55 PM
I thought it might be that old Del! Thanks for the ID. I'm about to soak it again and then pick at it. I'll post a cleaned up pic. Hope it looks half as nice as your pic.

Donnie B
06-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Great button! I love the old one piece military buttons. Those are my favorite military finds and I only have a very few. Congrats!

BTV Digger
06-23-2018, 07:39 PM
Very nice Jared! Treat that one with care. The one "piecers" are certainly more uncommon.

John