PDA

View Full Version : Short Hunt in the Woods Behind my House

Full Metal Digger
06-29-2018, 06:30 AM
Hey Diggers,
I was able to get out for a couple hours yesterday after work so I went back to the woods behind my house (since it's so close). It was probably 20 or 30 minutes before I found a spot that had signals. My first good find was the keg tap. It was only 3 inches deep and just about tore my ears off! It has a number 12 on the handle. Any ideas what that means? (Del?, anyone?) I found a couple fired musket balls which are probably from the 1793 skirmish we had on that hill. I was surprised to find a Roman Hobnail (shoe nail) at about 7 inches deep. That's the first Roman item I have found behind my house. I read on a German website that the Romans had an outpost near here until the Franks drove them out in 400 AD. My last two signals of the day were both coins! The first is a 1777 Zoll Pfennig (zoll means toll) and the second was a more modern 1875 2 Pfennig. Both coins came out in really good shape and cleaned up nicely. Here's some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Bucknut
06-29-2018, 10:02 AM
Man you can go behind your house and find Roman relics and 1700's and 1800's coins! How convenient is that? That tap you could still use today...looks mint.

Tony Two-Cent
06-29-2018, 03:28 PM
You are going to have Germany hunted out before I can get over there, Dave! :girlcry: :lol:

I really like the keg tap. The font of the "2" on it looks really old. It cleaned up beautifully too!

Of course the coins and Roman shoe nail are awesome too!

:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
06-29-2018, 04:15 PM
That's an amazing group of finds...and close by! I love those coins! I'm glad you are finding the time to hunt while you're there. Coming home will be fun to see your friends and family but detecting will be odd. You're going to have to dial your expectations back a bit :) Congrats, Dave!

del
06-29-2018, 08:41 PM
Great relics Dave , does the key seperate from the tap or a part of the who item ? Knowing how German's loved their beers maybe the 12 is simply for the twelfth keg they had going at the "wirtshaus" :lol: seriously it just could of been the size of the tap as they came in many different ones. Its a beautiful complete piece !!:smitten:are the coins a copper composition ?? incredible shape if they are , congrats Dave .

Digger Don
06-30-2018, 11:20 AM
He says "I was able to get out for a couple hours yesterday after work so I went back to the woods behind my house" I think I hate him!

Seriously, Great job Dave. You're making it look easy and I know it's not. Congrats Buddy. All very cool finds!!

Lodge Scent
07-01-2018, 10:05 AM
Great looking tap! Nice bunch of finds.

aloldstuff
07-02-2018, 02:06 PM
Now I know you are spoiled....."modern 1875". that keg tap is awesome....nice hunting..:thumbsup02:

Full Metal Digger
07-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Man you can go behind your house and find Roman relics and 1700's and 1800's coins!

Yes, I am very lucky but I think you can do that just about anywhere around here. SO much history!

You are going to have Germany hunted out before I can get over there

Does this mean you might actually make it over here!?

You're going to have to dial your expectations back a bit

You might be right but I love treasure hunting for anything!

does the key separate from the tap or a part of the whole item? Are the coins a copper composition?

The key seems to be integrated into the valve. It doesn't turn (probably just needs oil and a good whack with a rubber mallet). I wonder if the 12 is the flow rate. Maybe something like 12 ounces per minute... The coins are copper and I'm surprised how nice they look. The soil here is very similar to your Connecticut soil and tends to eat into the old coppers.

You're making it look easy and I know it's not.

I know what you mean Don. Sometimes I have to dig a piece of trash between awesome signals! LOL.

Great looking tap! Nice bunch of finds.

I hope to find a couple more so I can make a nice display of them one day.

Now I know you are spoiled....."modern 1875".

Oddly enough, All the detectorists here use 1871 as the cutoff for modern coins (except silver or gold coins). That's when Germany became a country by unifying all the German States into one.

Ill Digger
07-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Nice digs my friend!
Keep'em coming! :perfect10:
The barrel tap is cherry! Oil that baby up, give it a wack, and start pouring some pints man! It looks like you could use it already!
Awesome find!
Congrats! :grin:

Tony Two-Cent
07-03-2018, 01:08 PM
Does this mean you might actually make it over here!?

If I do it will have to be next year. I have already used all of my vacation time for this year.