PDA

View Full Version : 247 Year Old Coin Found in an Illinois Front Yard

Digger Don
06-30-2018, 10:53 PM
Noah and I went out today and braved the heat. It took a little time to find a couple of houses, we only looked for shaded lawns with no sun.The first house we hunted I pulled out a greenish disc, I thought it was token at first, but after a little cleaning and a quick visit to Google, I found that it was a 1771 1 skilling from Denmark. The non dated side has a mirrored C7 which was the monogram of Christian VII. Not bad for Illinois!!!
The second housed produced a 53-D Rosie, a 42-D merc and a very nice 1887 seated dime ( trifecta baby)!!
I also dug a "good for 5 cents" token.

Full Metal Digger
07-01-2018, 04:42 AM
Amazing finds and coin Don! I found a 1772 coin this week and you JUST HAD to find one that was 1 year older! LOL! AND you put some gravy on it by digging yet another seated coin! Congrats my friend I am truly happy for you.

Lodge Scent
07-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Nice coppa! That's a great find anywhere, not just in IL. Good looking shiny stuff too !

OxShoeDrew
07-01-2018, 10:12 AM
That's an outstanding day, Don! Coppers look mighty nice in IL! :wow:

Bucknut
07-01-2018, 02:04 PM
The seated is awesome! Congrats on a 1700s coin!

Noah
07-01-2018, 04:03 PM
I realize now why I don't find a good coins anymore, it's because I bring Don with me! :hammer::hammer::hammer::bangshead01:

Digger_O'Dell
07-01-2018, 04:38 PM
That's just unreal Don! Awesome copper, than ice the cake with a trifecta. Well done!

I realize now why I don't find a good coins anymore, it's because I bring Don with me! :hammer::hammer::hammer::bangshead01:

One thing I've realized is that the folks on this forum are the best of the best, and that includes you too Tim! I've had the priviledge of hunting with a few others here and seen the results of other hunts. You guys sure are hard to keep up with on any given day, but Don also seems to have that 6th sense of where to put his coil to find the best stuff!

Cooper
07-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Man you cleaned house that’s an awesome day in my book

Tony Two-Cent
07-02-2018, 12:33 PM
It's hard to beat a day like that, in spite of the sweltering heat! That's one of the oldest coins I've seen dug in Illinois. :yes:

The 1887 Seated Dime is a real corker too! :wow: You sure do have a nose for the seated coins, Don! Your seated total has far surpassed mine at this point.

Braving this heat really paid off for you. I would have been :whiteflag:

:congrats:

aloldstuff
07-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Don...and to think you didn't have to go to NE to get a old copper. Congrats on that and your dime trifecta. :yahoo:

Noah
07-02-2018, 06:06 PM
That's just unreal Don! Awesome copper, than ice the cake with a trifecta. Well done!

One thing I've realized is that the folks on this forum are the best of the best, and that includes you too Tim! I've had the priviledge of hunting with a few others here and seen the results of other hunts. You guys sure are hard to keep up with on any given day, but Don also seems to have that 6th sense of where to put his coil to find the best stuff!
Don is one of the best. Don’t fault him for his great finds. But I am going to focus a bit more and go slower next time we’re out. Here that buddy?! My turn. Oh and congratulations.:congrats:

aloldstuff
07-02-2018, 06:40 PM
Don is one of the best. Don’t fault him for his great finds. But I am going to focus a bit more and go slower next time we’re out. Here that buddy?! My turn. Oh and congratulations.:congrats:

Sounds like the gauntlet has been thrown down.....

Noah
07-02-2018, 07:02 PM
YEP :boxing::boxing:

Ill Digger
07-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Ohhhh! It's on now!!! :boxing:
It's a metal detecting throw down!! :rofl:

1771 here in Illinois!?! :shocked04: I think I have to agree with Tony and say that's the oldest coin I can recall being found here since I've been :detecting: Which ain't saying a whole lot. Only 9 years but... WOW!! :omg: :wow:
Congrats!! :thumbsup02:

You didn't really bring home the Rosie did ya? You know, after finding a 247 year old coin, I mean.... :rolleyes: :poke:

del
07-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Incredible finds Don

Nice coppa! That's a great find anywhere, not just in IL. Good looking shiny stuff too !

you said it Jeff !

Digger Don
07-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys!!!
I actally thought it was a token at first, no way it could be a 1700s coin in Ilinois. Sure glad I was wrong!

Noah, when we go out Saturday, BRING IT !! :behave::behave:

aloldstuff
07-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys!!!
I actally thought it was a token at first, no way it could be a 1700s coin in Ilinois. Sure glad I was wrong!

Noah, when we go out Saturday, BRING IT !! :behave::behave:

Don, I for one would love to see a video of the next hunt....:clapping:

wisconsin digger
07-03-2018, 10:34 PM
All impressive finds. Not sure why but the older coins (at least for me) tend to be foreign. My oldest silver is Britiish. great finds as usual. You complete the seated dime set yet?? WD

Donnie B
07-04-2018, 09:05 AM
That 247 year old coin is GORGEOUS! Fantastic find! It reminds me of my Prussian coin found earlier this year. It has the same die style but your coin is in much nicer condition.

BTV Digger
07-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Way to go Don. I wonder how it got there. From a guys coin collection? A drop from a family that had ties to Denmark? Regardless- a great find sir and congrats!

John

The Rebel
10-01-2018, 05:04 AM
WTG on the finds! Love the Skilling as we don't find many of those, I found one myself 1714.