PDA

View Full Version : Back in the woods for about 3 hours

Full Metal Digger
07-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Hey Diggers,
I got out this morning at sunrise for about 3 hours. I went back to the new spot about 1/4 mile from musket ball hill. Signals are starting to get harder to find! It took about 20 minutes to get my first good signal and it was a tiny shoe buckle, the smallest one I have found. The style and size puts it back into the late 1600's. About 2 feet away I found a very nice 1600's button. A few musket balls here and there but a lot of WW2 bullets and shrapnel. As I was working my way back to the truck to leave I got a very weak signal right next to a chunk of iron. The signal was so tiny it didn't even register on the display. I wasn't sure if it was a good target or just falsing bleeding over from the iron. I decided to dig. As the hole got deeper and deeper I was beginning to think it was my imagination. I gave up and and filled the hole back in and was ready to move on. One more sweep as I was walking away and the signal was just too good! I pulled all the dirt back out of the hole and just kept digging. Finally, my pinpointer started going off. I was so pleased to see a coin pop out from almost 15 inches deep! Here's some pics. Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
07-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Wow, those are some cool finds! That coin is a beauty, and the buckle looks unbelievably well preserved!

Cooper
07-01-2018, 07:20 PM
Some nice finds

Tony Two-Cent
07-02-2018, 12:38 PM
Beautiful old coin and shoe buckle, Dave! They both cleaned up really well. I'm surprised you didn't throw that "modern" coin in your junk bucket. :lol:

Do you think some of those iron objects are Roman?

Congrats on another successful hunt in Germany! :clapping:

aloldstuff
07-02-2018, 02:08 PM
You earned that coin....keep finding and posting....:thumbsup02:

Full Metal Digger
07-02-2018, 02:23 PM
the buckle looks unbelievably well preserved!

Thanks, I love the deep black patina it has. Most of them come out green.

Do you think some of those iron objects are Roman?

Thanks Tony, no Romans but one of the nails looks medieval to me. It's hard to believe, but there is a difference between the Roman nails and the medieval ones. The Roman nails are made of a more purer and denser iron and don't rust the same way as later eras.

You earned that coin....keep finding and posting....:thumbsup02:

Thanks Al, I'll be heading out again later this week so hopefully some more goodies to show!

del
07-02-2018, 09:36 PM
Another shoe buckle :shocked05:keep it up Dave and Lodge Scent will write jealous obscenities or disgruntled posts about your buckle finding skills :rofl: I will say you must be rivaling my collection by now or very soon !:thumbsup01:

Lodge Scent
07-03-2018, 07:30 AM
Another shoe buckle :shocked05:keep it up Dave and Lodge Scent will write jealous obscenities or disgruntled posts about your buckle finding skills :rofl: I will say you must be rivaling my collection by now or very soon !:thumbsup01:

That's just what we need is another detectorist with a *&^%#@*^ shoe buckle magnet coil, clogging up the forum with their awesome and ancient shoe buckles ! Darn *^&#% right I am jealous. :envious: :envious: :envious: