PDA

View Full Version : The Mint finally got it right

coinnut
09-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Anyone who knows me, knows I haven't been a fan of the Mints last 50+ years of coin production lol They are boring, and except for a few state quarters and some odd issues, I haven't seen them make a good coin yet. :ticked: Since they won't re-release the Indian Head Penny without ANY changes in design, the I guess this one isn't too bad. I kinda like it and can imagine some future treasure hunter seeing the shield on the back and thinking WOW what a cool coin. :clapping: Oh wait, it's still a zincoln, so he will have to analyze the soil sample to see what he found rofl

Epi-hunter
09-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Anyone who knows me, knows I haven't been a fan of the Mints last 50+ years of coin production lol They are boring, and except for a few state quarters and some odd issues, I haven't seen them make a good coin yet. :ticked: Since they won't re-release the Indian Head Penny without ANY changes in design, the I guess this one isn't too bad. I kinda like it and can imagine some future treasure hunter seeing the shield on the back and thinking WOW what a cool coin. :clapping: Oh wait, it's still a zincoln, so he will have to analyze the soil sample to see what he found rofl

I like it too. :) I have been meaning to bring that up. :)

randy
09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Anything is better than that dreaded memorial back. While I think it is an ugly design in its own right, it is also the most hated sight coming out of the dirt (IMHO anyway).

I wonder if, in 50 years, they will be excited to dig a pre 1982 memorial? They won't see that shield in 50 years.

kenfen
09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I love the new back, but I'd like for them to make them out of better material. Nice design, though.

Melting coins..... :rolleyes:

Regards, Ken

randwool
09-05-2010, 11:32 PM
This one does look sort of boring to me.

RobW
09-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I agree, my wife brought one home to me the other day. Got me excited. Love the design on the reverse, it does liken bad to yesteryears with a modern twist. Simple yet elegant.

Jason in Enid
09-09-2010, 01:21 PM
I would rather see them made from aluminum. Zinc is the worst metal you can use for anything other than a sacrificial anode.

little man
09-09-2010, 07:46 PM
when they hit the ground they are gone in a month to bad

coinnut
09-09-2010, 09:36 PM
when they hit the ground they are gone in a month to bad

It's too bad that future detectorists will only find a patch of white where the old pennies used to be lol Any other metal besides zinc, and we could live with that.

Myownwings
09-10-2010, 03:08 AM
I agree with you guys, the metal they are using is indicative of current America, lacks the pride and noble quality of our previous coins...and our history.

del
09-10-2010, 04:03 AM
I agree with you guys, the metal they are using is indicative of current America, lacks the pride and noble quality of our previous coins...and our history.

well said thumbsup01

SeabeeRon
09-14-2010, 07:44 PM
As others have said, I like the design but not the metal composition. There has got to be a more durable amalgam that could be used and not be overly costly! Any metallurgists out there?!?

Jason in Enid
09-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm all for scrapping the penny completely. The penny was originally a valuable coin that bought items. Today it's nothing more than a tax token. I'd be fine with scrapping the nickel too. Ditch the paper dollar.

It's hard to believe.... the mint used to produce gold coins from $1 to $20. That $20 coin was equivelent to a month's pay. Can you imagine having a $2000 (roughly low end, modern pay) coin in your pocket? Our $100 bill (largest available) Would be roughly equivelent to a silver dollar. Is it any wonder we don't find very many of them?

We live in a 21st century society with 19th century currency.

coinnut
09-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm all for scrapping the penny completely. The penny was originally a valuable coin that bought items. Today it's nothing more than a tax token. I'd be fine with scrapping the nickel too. Ditch the paper dollar.

We live in a 21st century society with 19th century currency.

Yep, I agree. I think scrap the penny, the dollar and 5 dollar bills and make a 1, 2 and 5 dollar coin. We are living in the dark ages :-\

RobW
09-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I've already found one while detecting...hey it's not a memorial!!!!! But you're right, doesn't hold up.

catskillcomics
10-20-2010, 03:51 PM
I wonder if, in 50 years, they will be excited to dig a pre 1982 memorial? They won't see that shield in 50 years.

Ya know, I was just thinking that same thing a few days ago.. and I believe.. yep in another 50 or so years, people MD'n will be excited to find those pennies like we sometimes get with wheaties.

RobW
10-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Especially the way copper prices are, it's the new silver.... lol

coinnut
10-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Especially the way copper prices are, it's the new silver.... lol

In that case, start hording them pre '82 pennies lol

czechdetectingchap
10-31-2010, 11:57 AM
Interesting the changes in US currency in the last few years, good for you guys. Personally I prefer Czech currency, because hey, when you've got poets, composers, revolutionaries, beautiful women and knights on your money, you don't want to spend it! thumbsup01