PDA

View Full Version : Seated, SLQ, military button = great June

Bucknut
07-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Looking back at my June finds I am pleasantly surprised at what I managed to dig up. I have been detecting way less than I normally do with projects at home and other things going on. Most of the silvers were found during my lunch breaks back when the heat was not as oppressive.

My best silvers were the smooth SLQ which happens to be my favorite coin type and the Seated Dime from 1875.

I also found a pretty cool relic at the same place I found the Seated dime. Its a Military 1pc style button from 1821-1835. Thanks Del for the ID. It was FULLY incrusted with poo that refused to come off so I boiled it in peroxide at first and toothpicked it. The results were poor. Then I took it to the next level and used an exacto knife on it to remove the crude and that did NOTHING! (first pic) So I went to the level of "Last Resort" and brought it to work and used our little sandblaster on it. I was just hoping to see more of the Eagle and maybe even what the letter was on the shield. The results were pretty impressive in my opinion. It was in pretty bad shape and after removing the poo I can see that it is heavily pitted as well. I did nothing to the back and I added a coating of the ren wax. FYI that is NOT gold gilt showing...its the raw brass.

On a side note I am still "working" on the crotal bell display that I mentioned a couple months ago. It will be awesome...someday...and I am looking forward to showing them off. Maybe I should do a contest on it? Who guessing what it is gets something. I have been here for 3 years or so and I do not think anyone has done a contest that is just for AD members.

Full Metal Digger
07-03-2018, 03:34 PM
Great assortment of finds. The silvers are nice but the RR tag is my favorite (maybe because I've never found one). Those buffalo nickles have some great colors and detail too. Thanks for sharing and HH, Dave.

aloldstuff
07-03-2018, 04:03 PM
I'm in agreement with DaddyDigger....the RR tag is great. Also liked the way how you showed that button who was boss...:thumbsup01:. Congrats on the silvers and of course the buffs.

Digger_O'Dell
07-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Nice assortment of finds. Congrats on the seated and SLQ! The RR tag is really cool. Think I see a Canadian LC too? Great job on that button, the design really pops out now!

Digger Don
07-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Awesome assortment of finds Jared. :congrats:
I'm glad you were able to show that button whos the Boss!!

wisconsin digger
07-03-2018, 10:32 PM
I think I found 9 silver in June also but not as nice as the one's you dug, Great finds and good luck in July WD

Donnie B
07-04-2018, 09:03 AM
I love Railroad tags and that's a beauty!

BTV Digger
07-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Way to go Jared and congrats on all the silver. The RR tag is the king of that haul imo though. Great find! Interesting on the crotal bell display you have in the works. I'll be interested to see what comes of that. I've found like 16 complete ones in the past 3 years from very small to quite large and I'm also looking for a creative way to display them. As you know they really don't fit well in a display case since they roll all around and have depth (as opposed to flatter relics/colonial items that fit more nicely).

John

Tony Two-Cent
07-06-2018, 10:05 AM
Those are incredible finds in anybody's book! :wow:

I love that railroad luggage tag! What a nice piece of history. Terrific find!

You did really well in the coin department too! Canadian Large Cent, Seated Dime and an SLQ! Wonderful! You were really dialed in on the nickels too.

:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
07-06-2018, 11:21 AM
You did well, Jared! What's the year on that Canadian LC? :congrats: