PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Hunt Behind My House

Full Metal Digger
07-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Hey diggers,
I went out for a couple hours this morning while Stacy and the girls slept in. I didn't have a lot of time so I just stayed in the woods behind my house. It was probably at least an hour before I got my first good signal. It was a French Army button (3rd Regiment) from the Napoleonic wars! It should date to about 1810. My next good signal was SO faint I wasn't even sure it was real but I dug anyway. I just kept digging and then suddenly my pinpointer started vibrating! It was a coin and it was every bit of 12 inches deep. It turned out to be a very nice looking 1851 Kreuzer from the German State of Baden.

About 10 feet away I got another good signal and from 7 inches deep popped out an 1897 Pfennig (also in great shape). I found a couple other interesting keepers including a copper/bronze/iron(?) nail with the initials VM on the head.

Here's some pics and HH! Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
07-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Wow, gotta love being able to walk out your back door and find stuff like that! Great hunting, and looking forward to the next post!

Full Metal Digger
07-09-2018, 05:00 AM
Just got an update from my German expert on the French button. 3rd Regiment 1794! This fits perfectly with the site having 2 minor skirmishes in 1793 and 1795. God I love this hobby!

Donnie B
07-09-2018, 06:16 AM
Just got an update from my German expert on the French button. 3rd Regiment 1794! This fits perfectly with the site having 2 minor skirmishes in 1793 and 1795. God I love this hobby!

You are finding the same types of coins and relics that my favorite YouTuber, TerraGermania, finds over there. Well done!

BTV Digger
07-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Way to go Dave! Funny how some soil destroys old coppers, while others preserve them incredibly. In your case it's the latter. The button is your find of the day though. Is it cast pewter?

John

Full Metal Digger
07-09-2018, 10:16 AM
Wow, gotta love being able to walk out your back door and find stuff like that!

It's amazing! I could find Roman, Celtic, medieval, and everything in between. In 1622 my village was completely destroyed by Croat mercenaries. They killed everyone and burned all the houses to the ground. Those who fled to the forest died of "starvation and plague."

You are finding the same types of coins and relics that my favorite YouTuber, TerraGermania, finds over there. Well done!

Hans is also one of my favorites!

The button is your find of the day though. Is it cast pewter? John

No, it's cast copper alloy (bronze-ish).

badgers325
07-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Interesting finds once again. Thank you!

aloldstuff
07-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Keep on posting these great finds and we will just keep on drooling

Lodge Scent
07-09-2018, 01:33 PM
Love that button ! What, no buckles today ?? ;)

OxShoeDrew
07-09-2018, 06:35 PM
I thought you were away from your family all this time and were missing them...I was feeling sorry for you! Now I find out they are with you AND you get to dig all these amazing finds??!! You LUCKY DOG!! Also experienced, as it sounds like you made some deep finds this go 'round that others would have missed! CONGRATS!!!

Tony Two-Cent
07-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Oddly enough, it's the nail with the initials on the head that I find most intriguing. What an unusual find. Of course, everything you find over there is unusual to us here in the States! The 3rd Regiment button is an incredible piece of history! Wow, so old and it is in terrific shape.

Superb finds once again, Dave! :clapping:

:perfect10: