PDA

View Full Version : Another cut copper and an assortment of relics from the past 2 weeks

BTV Digger
07-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Hi folks. Here's my finds from the past 2 weeks. I did 1 hunt about 10 days ago up in northeastern VT in the woods at 2 new cellar holes, and then again yesterday with my good friends Joe and Daniel from Green Mtn. Diggers in a field here in the Champlain Valley where the hay had recently been cut. In between those times, well, it was just too darn hot to detect. I found quite a few relics and a few coins, most of which came from yesterday. They include a nice reigns guide, a glass bridle rosette with some sort of script letter inside and another lead/pewter rosette of oval shape. I also pulled a number of decent buttons including a few tombacs, a gold plated sleigh bell, big horse hames top, 2 suspender buckles and the customary ammo and cutlery frags. My two coppers were one of those ginormous Bank of Upper Canada Penny Tokens (1854) and my second cut Draped Bust LC in which I was lucky got her date side (1803). The big penny rang up as a 92 on the AT Pro. Was sure I had another big silver, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for looking.

John

Lodge Scent
07-09-2018, 01:30 PM
You got some nice finds there John. A half cent the hard way, very nice reins guide, big ox knob. I'd like to find a bank token some day. Just too danged hot out there to be swinging a coil for long.

Digger_O'Dell
07-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Awesome assortment of finds John, congrats!

aloldstuff
07-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Yup total agreement about the heat....actually made MD'ing not fun. Some great finds John.

Donnie B
07-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Great finds! I am subscribed to Green Mountain Diggers on YouTube. I hope to see you on a video.

BTV Digger
07-09-2018, 02:33 PM
You got some nice finds there John. A half cent the hard way, very nice reins guide, big ox knob. I'd like to find a bank token some day. Just too danged hot out there to be swinging a coil for long.

Thanks much Jeff. If you ever come across one of those giant pennies, they sound almost too loud and high toned to believe, but they're worth it, and usually hold up pretty well.

Awesome assortment of finds John, congrats!

Thank a lot!

Yup total agreement about the heat....actually made MD'ing not fun. Some great finds John.

Thanks Al. Yeah, even when it's above 80, but below 90 lets say, the sweat is still pouring off of me. I usually bring 3 shirts w/me on those types of hunts!

Great finds! I am subscribed to Green Mountain Diggers on YouTube. I hope to see you on a video.

Thanks much Donnie. Yeah, Joe and Daniel of GMD are good friends and only live 15 minutes from me. Collectively we've really been scoring well this year. BTW, if you want to see more of me, go to my BTV Digger YT channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2KYR33NeJjLAwgOLib30A. I always welcome new subs!

badgers325
07-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Great finds for sure. Will check out your You Tube channel as well!

OxShoeDrew
07-09-2018, 05:49 PM
I never dug a glass rosette nor recall seeing one posted! The hame tops are super rare too! I'd love to find a copper as large as that token :envious: I'd say you did quite well!! :congrats:

Bucknut
07-10-2018, 08:11 AM
Very cool finds! The cut DP is pretty cool and glad you got the date portion!

Tony Two-Cent
07-10-2018, 01:11 PM
I love the bank token and the cut Draped Bust! I agree, lucky that you got the part of the coin with the date. Great buttons and relics too!

Now I'm off to watch the video.

:congrats:

calabash digger
07-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Very nice finds!

Oneil1979
07-11-2018, 08:36 AM
Nice spread of colonial artifacts, still looking for my first cut copper, always good to get the date side.

BTV Digger
07-11-2018, 12:16 PM
Great finds for sure. Will check out your You Tube channel as well!

Thanks a lot! Always welcome new subs and shares on my channel. I'm about 3 weeks behind on the current vids, but plan on having another out there in a week or so.

I never dug a glass rosette nor recall seeing one posted! The hame tops are super rare too! I'd love to find a copper as large as that token :envious: I'd say you did quite well!! :congrats:

Thanks Drew! Yeah, I love those hames tops also. It sounded so sweet in the ground that I initially thought I had another big crotal bell.

Very cool finds! The cut DP is pretty cool and glad you got the date portion!

Thanks Jared! Yeah, love finding those old cut coppers. Makes you think how long ago that was that someone valued a half cent so much as to literally cut the coin in half!

I love the bank token and the cut Draped Bust! I agree, lucky that you got the part of the coin with the date. Great buttons and relics too!

Now I'm off to watch the video.

Thanks much Tony. The old coppers really thrill me. There's usually several varieties on each of those older Draped Bust LCs, so I challenge myself to see if I can come up with a correct ID type. As I quoted to badgers325, I'm a bit behind on the videos but plan on catching up in the coming weeks. As a fellow YouTuber I'm sure you can appreciate the time it takes to put those together!

:congrats:

Very nice finds!

Thanks Calabash!

Nice spread of colonial artifacts, still looking for my first cut copper, always good to get the date side.

Much appreciated! Yeah, I got a nice variety over the past few weeks.