PDA

View Full Version : My largest Conestoga Bell ever and I didn't even have a detector!

BTV Digger
07-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Hi folks. Not sure where best to post this, but oh well. Went kayaking with my son on the Winooski R. today and eyeballed this huge conestoga bell in shallow water. Certainly the largest complete one I've ever found, and I didn't even need a detector! Its got one big ding on the top, otherwise it's near perfect. This spot in the river is directly behind colonial fields and the mansion of the first governor of Vermont. We also spotted some pottery frags and bricks in the shallows as we coasted by. I've got to return to that spot at some point, with detector in tow this time! Thanks for looking.

John

Lodge Scent
07-14-2018, 05:43 PM
That's just not fair John. Not even using a detector! You find conestogas like Dan finds shoe buckles. :lol: That monster must have come off a real conestoga wagon !

Bucknut
07-14-2018, 06:15 PM
Wow! Yeah bring the detector next time. Who knows what's in the river?

OxShoeDrew
07-14-2018, 06:32 PM
Jeepers, would love to hear that! Congrats, john!

del
07-14-2018, 07:39 PM
Fantastic bell John , the area in the river might be a "ford" and could be productive . :cheering:

Digger_O'Dell
07-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Wow, that's one heck of a find! Definitely have to detect that area. And if Dan is right about being a ford, maybe a water hunt might be in order too.

Digger Don
07-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Man, that thing is huge!!
Good luck on your return visit with your detector!:detecting:

catskillcomics
07-15-2018, 10:12 PM

Things my wife never says..LOL :rofl:

BTV Digger
07-16-2018, 01:16 PM
That's just not fair John. Not even using a detector! You find conestogas like Dan finds shoe buckles. :lol: That monster must have come off a real conestoga wagon !

Ha Ha. Thanks Jeff! Yeah, was lucky to have eyeballed it. Saw about half of it sticking out of the mud along the bank in about 8 inches of water. I was fortunately at the right angle to see it in the sun's glare.

Wow! Yeah bring the detector next time. Who knows what's in the river?

Thanks Jared. I'm definitely headed back there. It's about an hour kayak paddle downstream of the closing spot to port in so I'll have to plan ahead. But it's an easy place to find.

Jeepers, would love to hear that! Congrats, john!

Lol! Yeah, I'm sure that signal would blow your ears off!

Fantastic bell John , the area in the river might be a "ford" and could be productive . :cheering:

Thanks Dan. I agree. Lots of shallows in this area with small to fine gravel as opposed to muddy muck. So I'm encouraged there may be a few goodies to find. The folks back then had to swim from time to time in the summer and this place looks like it may fit the bill.

Wow, that's one heck of a find! Definitely have to detect that area. And if Dan is right about being a ford, maybe a water hunt might be in order too.

Thanks much!

Good luck on your return visit with your detector!:detecting:

Thanks Don!

aloldstuff
08-02-2018, 05:51 AM
Huge and beautiful...:thumbsup02: