PDA

View Full Version : I seem to be sliding back on the learning curve...

jkress
09-05-2010, 10:48 PM
My last three hunts have been a little frustrating. Especially after a strong start with the Mercs, WLH and silver quarters.

I haven't dug much more than wheats. Lately I have been concentrating on a very large park that has seen it's fair share of treasure hunters. Although I know people have detected it over the last 30 years... I just don't see too many. Once in a while I'll see someone there.

Nonetheless, the park was built in 1908 and is quite large. Last year I found a silver quarter, dime and buffalo with my Ace 250. I figured I might just do pretty good with my new Minelab.

I have found several wheats but no silver. So I figure one of three things are happening...

1 - I'm just not putting my coil over silver.... this is probably doubtful.

2 - My stock coil (11 pro coil) isn't going deep enough... this too is probably doubtful.

3 - Hunting this park might be out of my skill set right now.... this seems more likely.

I can't help but think that many of you pro's could probably walk right behind me scooping up Morgans and Barbers. :yes:

So, after nothing at the park today I decided to hit a school park that I picked up quite a bit of clad last year. Figured I would work on my skills and dig some clad for the bucket.

Easily I picked up about $4 in quarters and dimes. While concentrating on the difference between pennies and quarters/dimes, I came across a real high pitched screamer at 01/31. I figured it might be a quarter, but possibly something else. Turns out it was a silver ring... kind of nice surprise.

http://homepage.mac.com/j.kress/AmericanDetectorist/pictures/picture-9.jpg

So... I will continue working on what the Explorer is telling me and keep at it. Practice, practice, practice!

dave in iowa
09-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Joe , ive had my se for 4 years and i still feel im just wandering around in the dark most the time , practice , practice good luck on your next hunt

coinnut
09-06-2010, 04:07 PM
There are a couple of people here with Explorer experience. How about an idea of what settings you have and how you detect (speed, coil coverage, etc...) maybe there is a better program for you to try.

ProPointer
09-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Yep, stepping up from a simple display screen to ferris and conductivity numbers is not easy. Guess this winter you'll have to take the time to learn the new animal. Then next season more treasure will await you thumbsup01

hockeyguy
09-06-2010, 05:51 PM
use little if any disc., set ur sens to 26 (auto if necessary) and go slow....very slow, particularly in the trash. Do you have a test garden? If not, bring a silver dime with you and throw it on the ground before u hunt....listen to the tone cause thats what ur lookin' for. Recently I lowered my variables to drop the falsing of iron sounds as much as possible...this was good for me....maybe reread the article i sent you. look for deep signals...maybe only dig anything deeper than 6 for bit.

HH

Aaron

z118
09-06-2010, 07:16 PM
I am in the exact same boat with the E-trac... it can be a little frustrating and right now I'm wondering why I bothered upgrading from my good old Sov. I dig damn near everything that beeps so it's hard for me to buy into the fact that I'm not recognizing good targets. Anyway, I'm sure it will get better for both of us. In the past I've always just kept digging and sooner or later, one way or another, finds came!

jkress
09-06-2010, 08:01 PM
There are a couple of people here with Explorer experience. How about an idea of what settings you have and how you detect (speed, coil coverage, etc...) maybe there is a better program for you to try.

I have been switching back and fourth between the default coin mode using Manual Sens. at 24 and Iron Mask/20 at Manual Sens at 24. Everything else is at factory defaults.

The good news is I have not been digging as much iron as I initially was. I use a couple of techniques from here and the A.S. book.... 1) checking the target from a different angle. 2) Paying attention to the threshold blanking around my target. Both of these seem to help.

jkress
09-06-2010, 08:06 PM
maybe reread the article i sent you. look for deep signals...maybe only dig anything deeper than 6 for bit.

HH

Aaron

Yep... I read that article often. Thanks again, lots of great info there.

A quick question to you or anyone that has insight... If the tones generated are based on the Fe/Co numbers only of a target, why would using a light Iron Mask(less discrimination) increase the potential for silver finds? If there is a silver target resting in iron, won't that still sound off with a high tone?

Thanks for your help.

hockeyguy
09-06-2010, 08:12 PM
the sound will possibly sound good, but only from certain angles and you will have to be going very slow (which is ok) to hear it. When there are multiple target in a hole or under the coil for that matter, it gets tricky . There is a protocol I follow to determine if they r dig worthy. Try an air test...throw a piece of iron and a silver on top of each other and raise the coil....pay attention to the sounds and FE CO #'s from different angles for this experience.

I personally hate the IM at 20......too much blanking...youd have to go real., real slow......these machines, when dealing with discrimination, have to process too much info.....when moved up higher, I think you will find a much faster response, certainly in the FE CO display....have you noticed it has slowed with that setting?. Perhaps you should consider letting more sounds through and become more selective about what you dig based on sound and depth?