PDA

View Full Version : Park Hunting

OxShoeDrew
07-19-2018, 07:50 AM
The woods are overgrown with unreal amounts of ferns and most of the fields are growing for the second cut, so off to the parks! Tues morning I hit a field that produced the ball button and buttons....then we got a soaking rain that night. Yesterday was like a dream in the park. :daydream:
I know where this hot spot is and have pounded it, first with my T2, then with my Nox, then with soaked ground and a better understanding of my Nox...almost all these coins were still in the ground after a shovel deep plug. To icing on the cake was the dew allowed me to hit EVERY inch!! It's amazing how much time it takes to cover a small area. :shocked01:
I spent a few hours in the morning, then went back after lunch...it was a glorious day!!:loveit:
Edit-This is comically similar to my last week's hunt!:lol:

Digger_O'Dell
07-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Nice hunting Drew! Its blown me away too how much we miss and find on return visits. I've had the same experience in a couple small hot spots in that old zoo I hunt. One find was a walking half on like the 3rd or 4th visit that was only a couple inches down. Still dont know how I missed it!

Full Metal Digger
07-19-2018, 09:00 AM
WOW, great variety of coins and nice silvers too! Funny how different ground conditions can make finding coins easier or harder. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Bucknut
07-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Great results from a pounded site. The Nox gives me extra confidence at my old sites as well! Love the SLQ!

Oneil1979
07-19-2018, 12:34 PM
Nice hunt, always nice to pull coins from pounded sites, I laughed at your dew comment I too have used the power of the dew to insure I gridded the entire area I was hunting:)

Digger_O'Dell
07-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Nice hunt, always nice to pull coins from pounded sites, I laughed at your dew comment I too have used the power of the dew to insure I gridded the entire area I was hunting:)

For me it was the early snow! :lol:

BTV Digger
07-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Great finds Drew! Love the SLQ - I've never actually found one. How small was the area you scoured in the park yesterday? Makes me want to go back to a number of my more productive sites and slow down even more!

John

badgers325
07-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Love getting into the hot spots and returning to them to find more. It certainly pays to go in 3 directions when you find these spots. Congrats on a great park day!

Tony Two-Cent
07-20-2018, 01:33 PM
There is something about an SLQ that always puts a smile on my face, even if it is a worn, dateless one. They are beautiful coins. You had a fantastic hunt in the park, Drew! I am amazed at how you've taken to that Nox.

:congrats:

MIKE54
07-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Nice haul Drew. I agree with Tony about SLQ's!

Donnie B
07-24-2018, 05:52 AM
Very nice hunt and you even find colonial buttons in parks!

OxShoeDrew
07-24-2018, 10:52 AM
WOW, great variety of coins and nice silvers too! Funny how different ground conditions can make finding coins easier or harder. Best wishes and HH, Dave.I went back again the other day and only found a few wheats and a silver ring, so I guess I'm finally getting to the end of this park. Thanks, Dave!

Great results from a pounded site. The Nox gives me extra confidence at my old sites as well! Love the SLQ!I've only found a handful of SLQ, I think one is datable. Yeah, I do love my nox but I still don't know if I'm using the correct mode at most sites.

Nice hunt, always nice to pull coins from pounded sites, I laughed at your dew comment I too have used the power of the dew to insure I gridded the entire area I was hunting:)That was a special day, all the planets aligned and I was able to clean out that section...about 30 by 30 yards area.

For me it was the early snow! :lol:I know, right! I love a dusting where you can see were you've been...but most times if the snow doesn't stick to your coil it's too cold for my little fingers to detect :lol:. When it's not too cold the snow sticks to the coil. Thanks, Chris!

Great finds Drew! Love the SLQ - I've never actually found one. How small was the area you scoured in the park yesterday? Makes me want to go back to a number of my more productive sites and slow down even more!
It was a 30by30 yard area. It was the entrance to the visiting stands of a no longer used football field. There's lots more area but that spot was really productive. Thanks, John!

Love getting into the hot spots and returning to them to find more. It certainly pays to go in 3 directions when you find these spots. Congrats on a great park day!I went in concentric circles from the center. Maybe I should go strait lines one more time! Thanks!

There is something about an SLQ that always puts a smile on my face, even if it is a worn, dateless one. They are beautiful coins. You had a fantastic hunt in the park, Drew! I am amazed at how you've taken to that Nox.

:congrats:I'm liking the nox, Tony...I have some work-arounds now for things like cans and such, but I've found the machine does all the work. You don't need to listen for bottle caps the machine filters them out!! I hardly EVER dig old nails! I learned how to hear nails/caps on the T2 but this machine does the work for you! Dummy proof...just the machine for me :lol: Thanks, Tony!

Nice haul Drew. I agree with Tony about SLQ's!They are quite special for me too!! Thanks, Mike! I hope you're having a good summer!

Very nice hunt and you even find colonial buttons in parks!I found one tombac there last year but those buttons were from a colonial field, Donnie. Thanks!

Digger Don
07-24-2018, 07:59 PM
I agree with Tony, there's something about digging an SLQ that just makes it a great day:congrats:

wisconsin digger
07-26-2018, 11:48 PM
Great bunch of finds especially the SLQ. Have not seen a lot of SLQ finds lately. Congrats WD

aloldstuff
08-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Such a nice haul there Drew. I also love the morning dew to help guide me. From what I have been reading...everybody loves their NOX