PDA

View Full Version : INCREDIBLE Coins found today!! My most valuable EVER.

Full Metal Digger
07-29-2018, 12:59 PM
Hey Diggers,
What a hunt I had this morning! I met up with Russ at 6 a.m. at the medieval woods we've been hunting lately. Finds were slow but steady. We pretty much hunt in different directions when we're out in the woods (there's plenty of room for everyone). At some point he called me on the cell phone and said he had found a spill of big coins, and they were all very thin. He said he was already up to 5 coins and I better get over there and help him dig them up! It took me a few minutes to find him and when I got there he was up to 8 coins! The spill seemed to be a circle of about 50 feet. The coins were deep and very faint. For the next 2 hours we zig-zagged around the side of that hill digging every signal no matter how faint or trashy. I ended up finding 4 coins and he found 12 total! All 16 coins turned out to be big silver coins from the 1620s! They were all minted in feudal France in the State of Chateau Regnault (Louise Marguerite of Lorraine).

I am so grateful that Russ called me over to share in such an amazing find!

Here's some pics!

Bucknut
07-29-2018, 02:13 PM
No words!

Full Metal Digger
07-29-2018, 02:49 PM
No words!

I'm pretty much the same way right now!

Lodge Scent
07-29-2018, 02:54 PM
Dave.......that's beyond awesome. I can hardly wait to see what you post next.

OxShoeDrew
07-29-2018, 04:47 PM
uuuummmmm....I got nothing. Well, one thing, this will be on the banner.

Digger_O'Dell
07-29-2018, 05:59 PM
Just incredible!

BTV Digger
07-29-2018, 06:14 PM
Wow Dave. Just some wonderful finds that place most of us on our knees! I still can't imagine what it's gonna feel like to dig a Mercury Dime when you eventually return to the states. ;) People didn't just lose that kind of money in those days. It must have originally been in some sort of small purse or container, buried for safe keeping etc., then forgotten. At least that my story! :lol:

John

Full Metal Digger
07-29-2018, 11:42 PM
People didn't just lose that kind of money in those days. It must have originally been in some sort of small purse or container, buried for safe keeping etc., then forgotten.

John, I agree with you. I've seen several of these large spills found now and I think they are all derived from very sad stories. There were so many plagues and wars during the medieval and post-medieval eras and I think many people fled to the forest for safety only to die from illness or starvation. Of course, they had their valuables on their person when they died. I imagine animals scattered their remains (and the coins as well). I think that's why these spills tend to be in a large area instead of a single pile of coins. The 1620s was the height of the 30 Years War in this region and the Croat Mercenaries pretty much had a scorched-Earth policy. They killed everyone they could and burned entire villages to the ground. Even the village I live in was completely destroyed by the Croats and most of the inhabitants were killed (24 families). Our village website says those who escaped the Croats fled to the forest but died of "starvation and plague." My village was uninhabited for 46 years after that!

del
07-30-2018, 06:56 AM
Incredibly coin spill and story about the era in which they were lost in Dave , I really don't know if I could come back to the states and enjoy detecting Wheaties and Indians in the same way ;)

Oneil1979
07-30-2018, 07:46 AM
Just a little 1600’s coin spill no big deal, I too am the type that would have called someone over to share in the fun but I understand that some people get weird about that. Thanks for sharing the coins and the experience don’t see myself leaving US soil anytime soon.

Tony Two-Cent
07-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Your detecting journey continues on an upward trajectory, Dave! Each hunt for you brings something new and exciting. That coin spill really sets the imagination in motion. If only those coins could talk. They are right at 400 years old. INCREDIBLE!

:perfect10:

Ill Digger
07-31-2018, 08:18 PM
:rolleyes: Whatever

.... :lol:
You wanna see the wheaties I found yesterday!? No? I can understand.

Another awesome addition to the collection Dave!
Congrats! :grin:

Donnie B
07-31-2018, 09:22 PM
Absolutely beautiful coins! I hope to make it over there some day to detect. There is so much history under your feet no matter where you walk! I wonder what was going on around that hillside?

wisconsin digger
08-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Awesome finds. Getting my head around 400 year old coins is a little hard coming from Wisconsin. Congrats WD

aloldstuff
08-01-2018, 09:50 AM
ahhhhhh.......ahhhhhhh.....ahhhhhh.....OK I'm moving to German

Noah
09-02-2018, 04:47 PM
I'm bored man. Where is your gold coin spill?

MIKE54
09-02-2018, 08:16 PM
That story and those coins are just beautiful!!