PDA

View Full Version : Truth Or Myth? Rechargable batteries vs Replaceable batteries

catskillcomics
09-06-2010, 06:06 AM
Yesterday I was at a Pig roast and a couple Metal Detectorists were there that I knew.. we were doing the usual MD talk, and some how came upon the topic of batteries..

Now these two guys use replaceable batteries, (duracell) and swear that using replaceable batteries makes the machine perform better than those machines running on rechargeable batteries. I can't see that making a difference, but any opinions on this?

CyberSage
09-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I have seen many discussions around the Internet about this. In my opinion using rechargeable batteries is just plain common sense. Non-rechargeable batteries have a slightly higher voltage output than their rechargeable counterparts. I think this is where the mentality that they are better stems from. This belief of course, is simply not true. Voltage is regulated on the detector side and makes no difference in performance other than the fact that rechargeable batteries do not last as long. They are just as effective. Nickel-metal hydride batteries can be recharged thousands of times making them much more cost effective as well. I have some that are in their third year of use. I start each trip with freshly charged batteries and have not ever ran out of a charge during a hunt. I keep additional rechargeable batteries just in case and rotate them in to use on a regular basis.

You will probably see some some distinctly different views expressed here on this thread. Some folks just like to spend money needlessly I guess. lol Bottom line, there is no difference in performance. If there was, an air test would be a simple way to prove it, and I have not seen one to date that shows this result. If someone can show me the difference I will be the first one in line at the store buying non-rechargeable batteries for my detector.

Jack

Lowjiber
09-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Nickel-metal hydride batteries are all I use in my Vision and MXT. I'll echo Jack's comments above...they're great.

coinnut
09-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Yep, Ditto here. Since the machine is voltage regulated, it can not run hotter. Besides, even if it could, it would probably overload some circuit and cause falsing of some kind, not to mention repeated high voltage would burn out some components over time. Not the results one would want. It just doesn't make sense to me anyways. I always use rechargeable batteries. It saves me tons of $$$$.