PDA

View Full Version : Capped Bust Half Cent and other relics

BTV Digger
08-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Hi folks! We've finally had a break in the heat over the past few days (75 to 80 as opposed to 85 to 90) so headed out today to some fairly remote cellars. They're actually only 10 miles or so from my house, but a solid 3 mile walk in from the trail head. Not on any maps - just GPS'ed them on my phone. Finds were slow but steady and managed to pull a no date Capped Bust Half Cent and a wiped colonial copper at 10" along the old cart road. :yes: Also dug a lead pipe bowl and 1 1/2 crotal bells, actually 1 3/4. That huge flat piece at bottom is a flattened part of a ginormous one. Thing must have been the size of a baseball. :shocked04: Also dug a few buttons/buckles and a cool very old piece of bridle or horse tack (the double looped thingy). Experts, please chime in on an ID if you have time. I recall Drew or another forum regular post one of these in the past year. Heartbreaker of the day was some sort of pie-shaped machine tag at 5". Was sure it was my first quarter cut 8 Reale. :bangshead01: HH!

John

Lodge Scent
08-11-2018, 07:57 PM
I wonder If that lead pipe bowl caused any brain damage to the smoker John ;). 1 and 3/4 crotals is almost a conastoga. So it appears you are back on track in that category :)

That Classic Head half cent is a great find. Any half cent is a great find! Whoever made that machine tag in that shape really should be shot. That's just not right.

aloldstuff
08-12-2018, 06:17 AM
Hey John, Jeff is so right about the 1/2 cents being a great find. Sure would have liked to have seen that huge crotal bell piece connected to the rest of it....its HUGE. Your horse tack piece is a gag loop. I was the one who posted a couple from the golf course and Drew was the member who gave me the ID on it. Great hunting...:thumbsup02:

Bucknut
08-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Awesome half cent! I like the pipe too.

Tony Two-Cent
08-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Congrats on the Classic Head Half Cent! (1809-1836) They sure don't turn up very often. That is a scarce find for a detectorist, although the coins themselves are relatively common.

Al correctly ID'd your horse tack item as a gag loop.

Good job tracking down those productive detecting spots! :clapping:

:congrats:

Digger_O'Dell
08-13-2018, 10:21 AM
That's a pretty nice half cent! Lead/pewter pipe bowls aren't very common either. Your style I would say is definitely colonial era.

calabash digger
08-13-2018, 10:44 AM
Very nice !

OxShoeDrew
08-13-2018, 10:59 AM
So productive, John!!! Covered all the bases...relics, coins, even a pipe! I've yet to find even a piece of a pipe. That half cent is in better shape than any I've found. 3 miles!!?? That's too far for me :lol:
:notworthy:

BTV Digger
08-13-2018, 06:22 PM
I wonder If that lead pipe bowl caused any brain damage to the smoker John ;). 1 and 3/4 crotals is almost a conastoga. So it appears you are back on track in that category :)

That Classic Head half cent is a great find. Any half cent is a great find! Whoever made that machine tag in that shape really should be shot. That's just not right.

Thanks Jeff. As a quick side note, and just for you, I headed back out to the site again today for a few hours and pulled this little beauty. Just had to show ya'!

Hey John, Jeff is so right about the 1/2 cents being a great find. Sure would have liked to have seen that huge crotal bell piece connected to the rest of it....its HUGE. Your horse tack piece is a gag loop. I was the one who posted a couple from the golf course and Drew was the member who gave me the ID on it. Great hunting...:thumbsup02:

Hey thanks Al! A Gag Loop. Now I know. I knew it was one of you guys that found it!

Awesome half cent! I like the pipe too.

Thanks Jared!

Congrats on the Classic Head Half Cent! (1809-1836) They sure don't turn up very often. That is a scarce find for a detectorist, although the coins themselves are relatively common.

Al correctly ID'd your horse tack item as a gag loop.

Good job tracking down those productive detecting spots! :clapping:

:congrats:

Thanks for the nice comments Tony. After some gentle additional toothpicking I was able to get a date - 1832. It's a Cohen Variety 1, or "Accessory E" style. More here: http://www.coinfacts.com/half_cents/1832_half_cent_varieties/1832_half_cent_c01.htm.

That's a pretty nice half cent! Lead/pewter pipe bowls aren't very common either. Your style I would say is definitely colonial era.

Thanks! I have to imagine there would have been a wooden handle extending from the lead portion of the pipe. Otherwise I don't see how the thing wouldn't get way too hot to handle pretty quickly!

Very nice !

Thanks Calabash!

So productive, John!!! Covered all the bases...relics, coins, even a pipe! I've yet to find even a piece of a pipe. That half cent is in better shape than any I've found. 3 miles!!?? That's too far for me :lol:
:notworthy:

Thanks Drew! Yeah, I went through 3 t-shirts - sweated my butt off! When you find relics like we do, it's worth it though! Other than one clay pipe stem that's my only other pipe frag too. I've been lucky to find 2 half cents this year. Fairly common for collectors as Tony says, but uncommon to dig them.

Donnie B
08-14-2018, 06:26 AM
Beautiful Half Cent!

Lodge Scent
08-14-2018, 07:58 PM
Thanks Jeff. As a quick side note, and just for you, I headed back out to the site again today for a few hours and pulled this little beauty. Just had to show ya'!

That's just not fair John :envious:

Ken C
08-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Great looking half cent, congrats! :beerbuddy:

Digger Don
08-20-2018, 09:03 AM
Congrats on that Half Cent :wow:!!!
Excellent find!!