PDA

View Full Version : First time out in 2 months

Lodge Scent
08-12-2018, 08:55 AM
It had been a couple of months since I had gotten out into the woods to do some detecting and I needed a fix badly. The weather report showed a few hour window in the morning before the rains moved in. After a nice little 30 minute hike I was at the site. Expectations were low since this site has been worked over pretty hard, but hopes are always high. :) Managed to sniff out a few buttons, a lead whizzer, pewter spoon bowl, etc., before the skies opened up. Every 20 minutes or so I was checking the radar app on my phone and watching the rain get closer and closer. When it hit though, it came down so hard that I got soaked before I could get the $2 rain poncho out of my pack and put it on. :shocked02:

https://i.imgur.com/xFr47D4.jpg

Not complaining though. I was pleased with the nice cloak button and then just before the deluge hit, I got small cuff button with the glass stone right on the lip of the cellar hole. It poured buckets all the way on the hike out. But with temps in high 70’s, it wasn’t bad at all.

https://i.imgur.com/udA1agr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hpm5YfQ.jpg

Jeff

Donnie B
08-12-2018, 09:10 AM
Nice buttons! I'm glad you got a fix!

aloldstuff
08-12-2018, 09:54 AM
So you got wet, but the important thing is that you got your fix. Congrats on the finds....weather has been crazy this summer.

Full Metal Digger
08-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Glad you were able to get out and detect after 2 months! Great cloak button and I love the glass front button. I have 2 or 3 that I have found and have them in their own little case. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

OxShoeDrew
08-12-2018, 07:12 PM
You've been busy, Jeff? Glad you're back at it! Good work with all those higher targets. :thumbsup02:

calabash digger
08-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah! I need a relic fix myself... lol

Lodge Scent
08-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Nice buttons! I'm glad you got a fix!

So you got wet, but the important thing is that you got your fix. Congrats on the finds....weather has been crazy this summer.

Donnie and Al, I got my fix, now I want MORE!

Glad you were able to get out and detect after 2 months! Great cloak button and I love the glass front button. I have 2 or 3 that I have found and have them in their own little case. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Dave, that's the first glass button I've dug and I've dug lots of buttons!

You've been busy, Jeff? Glad you're back at it! Good work with all those higher targets. :thumbsup02:

Been real busy with a few projects around the house Drew. But I never let that stop me from going out detecting in the past. Tweaked my knee a couple of months ago. I was pretty gimpy for a while. The projects I was doing around the house didn't help it get better. But it was fine after yesterday's hike. But the biggest reason I haven't been out is the blasted hot weather. I'll detect all winter, I don't care how cold it gets but I am a big whiney wimp when the heat and humidity set in. :cheesysmile:

Oh yeah! I need a relic fix myself... lol

Yes, the withdrawal symptoms are not pleasant calabash.

BTV Digger
08-13-2018, 06:25 PM
Very nice Jeff! Love the cloak button - so ornate. Curious - what's the period on the glass button? I've heard a number of different periods for those. Any way to know?

John

Lodge Scent
08-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Thanks John. This was a fairly remote cellar hole with no modern trash. I am guessing the button was late Colonial era. Coins from that site ranged from KG2 to an 1834 Matron Head.