PDA

View Full Version : My August finds...a busket lister.

Bucknut
08-31-2018, 10:43 AM
August ended up being AMAZING for me but the first 3 weeks were some of the slowest detecting days I have experienced in years. I think all that I found were a handful of wheats, a buff and 1 war nickel.

But that soon changed. Before I went on vacation I found a silver Rosie, the heel plate with the heart shape ( late 1800's probably) and the silver cap thingy. It is not marked but it tests sterling.

While on vacation I also dug a couple Indians including an 1880 that is squished a bit and the sterling pin. Also found a couple musket balls up there but not at the button site.

Here is the pile of War of 1812 buttons I have already posted in the relics section. BTV Digger asked for a pic of everything...I think this will do nicely.

Then a couple days ago I went to a very old spot and found a bucket lister for me. A beautiful 1868 Shield Nickel. I was very happy to see it.

In the pic with it is a CW store token I found in a field next to my home. It states "Scotch Store Dry Goods and Millinery Detroit Michigan" on one side and then "Campbell Linn & Co. Business Card"

Then yesterday I had an hour to kill before work and so I went to a near by park. I opened my trunk and saw the Etrac sitting there all sad. I guessed it was upset that I had not taken it out for awhile and that I had been "bashing" it on the forum. I told it "we can still be friends and I promise to use you once in awhile still." So I grabbed it and the two us strolled to an area of the park that I have done extremely well in and noticed that the city had cleared away some brush. "Here is your chance to shine like old times" I told the Etrac. The Etrac made the most of the hour we had together...1957 Washington, 1941 KG6 Canadian dime and 4 wheats. We needed that one on one time.

Thanks for looking! Jared

Full Metal Digger
08-31-2018, 11:36 AM
The shield nickel looks great! They don't usually come out of the ground looking so good. The heel plate is from a Union soldier's riding boot. I think most of them were used for many years after the CW until they just plain wore out. Congrats again on the button pile. Maybe someday I will be able to find such nice buttons! Best wishes and happy hunting, Dave.

The Rebel
08-31-2018, 01:13 PM
Nicely Done!

Cooper
08-31-2018, 10:14 PM
Nice finds looks like a good hunt

Oneil1979
09-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Nice hunt, I am searching for a heal plate myself, I wonder if the silver item is the end of a Cane? What does the reverse look like? The scripted PILE of 1812 buttons is nice too I guess:) congrats

Digger_O'Dell
09-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Lots of great finds! That shield nickel is a beauty for a bucket list find. Still looking for mine.... Nice that you got some silver too. Detecting here in Wisconsin is pretty bad right now with the flooding we had. Over a foot of rain in some areas! Ground is so wet it gushes water when you walk. Cant even think about water hunting. Even have the lakefront shut down for the Harley 115th anniversary events this week. But could be a good hunt come Monday there if the rain holds off.

OxShoeDrew
09-02-2018, 07:17 AM
Nicely done....that pile of buttons should get into eastern and western treasures! :notworthy:

MIKE54
09-02-2018, 08:24 AM
That's a good detecting month! All kinds of finds. I've never found a shield nickel or Silver Canadian dime so great stuff there.

Ken C
09-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Congrats on the shield nickel and other the great finds pictured. :beerbuddy:

Lodge Scent
09-03-2018, 01:19 PM
I find myself half in a trance just staring at that pile of buttons. They are mesmerizing for sure!

aloldstuff
09-03-2018, 04:39 PM
As everyone else has stated...I also am still searching for a shield nickle. Congrats on yours. OxShoeDrew has the right idea. You should submit that to Western and Eastern Treasure magazine. They might want to do a whole story. By the way I am still in awe of those buttons....:perfect10:

Ill Digger
09-03-2018, 10:26 PM
Good times with a old friend! The Etrac did great!
You shouldn't bash it any more. :shame::shame:

You had one heck of a month there Jared! The pile of buttons you and the kids dug are just off the charts! That's a couple peoples lifetime achievements! And you guys got them all in a weekend:shocked01: That's crazy cool! :yahoo:
But that wasn't enough for you. You scratched one off the bucket list too with a shield nickel! :clapping:

That's a great month man! Congrats! :grin:

How big is the silver do-dad next to the broach? It looks like a silver doorknob! :shocked04: :lol: But that would be a massive sized broach then.:lol:

Bucknut
09-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Good times with a old friend! The Etrac did great!
You shouldn't bash it any more. :shame::shame:

How big is the silver do-dad next to the broach? It looks like a silver doorknob! :shocked04: :lol: But that would be a massive sized broach then.:lol:

Yeah making up with the Etrac was fun. The silver thing is about the size of a half dollar and might go on the end of the handle of a cane. But I would think it would be monogrammed if that was the case and it is not so I am not sure what it is.

Bucknut
09-04-2018, 09:35 AM
You should submit that to Western and Eastern Treasure magazine. They might want to do a whole story. By the way I am still in awe of those buttons....:perfect10:

A couple of you guys have mentioned that but I am not sure I want to do that. I have never read that magazine so I know nothing about it. Also I did not find the site originally so to "clean up" that place after someone else found it and then put that story in a magazine is awkward to me. I would also assume I would need to give some background to the site and doing that in a magazine like that may not be wise...poachers might figure things out. Even though I did not poach this site I still kinda feel like I did so I do not want to make a big deal about it...except to you guys maybe. :grin:

Tony Two-Cent
09-04-2018, 10:16 AM
Congrats on the bucket list Shield Nickel! That is a nice example too! They aren't real easy to find.

I really like the eagle button that has a lot of gilt left on it as well. It is a beauty!

So many great finds for you lately! KEEP IT UP! :clapping: