PDA

View Full Version : I Traded The Roman Goddess Head for This...

Full Metal Digger
10-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Hey Diggers,
You may recall a few weeks ago I found a bronze Roman Goddess Head (Venus?) at a Roman site I was detecting. I had a couple different offers from people (some were just stupid). I told folks the only thing I would trade for is a hammered gold coin. Well, someone took me up on my words and I ended up trading with him for a 1729 Dutch Ducat! I feel a little weird about it because I have never sold or traded anything I found before. But the gold coin is so pretty! LOL. What do you think? Did I make a mistake?

Tony Two-Cent
10-01-2018, 11:01 AM
OMG Dave! I wish you would have contacted me first! I would have traded you one of my gold coins for it!

LOL! In all seriousness, it would have been a tough call for me but a hammered gold coin would be hard to say no to! It is a beautiful example. How big is it?

I think you made a good trade!

Full Metal Digger
10-01-2018, 01:12 PM
OMG Dave! I wish you would have contacted me first! I would have traded you one of my gold coins for it! LOL! In all seriousness, it would have been a tough call for me but a hammered gold coin would be hard to say no to! It is a beautiful example. How big is it?

Tony, it's between a nickel and quarter in size and is 23.7 carats gold. This coin was recovered from a famous shipwreck of 1735, The Vliegenthart (Flying Heart). It's been photographed and cataloged by the National Museum, Royal Coin Cabinet in Leyden, Holland.

Tony Two-Cent
10-01-2018, 01:20 PM
I can't stop looking at it! :loveit:

Digger_O'Dell
10-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Its a beautiful coin with provenance, so would be most difficult to pass up. But on the other hand you had a find that you cant buy at any price, and a real piece of history. Tough call!

Digger Don
10-01-2018, 04:33 PM
I think you did good. That goddess was butt ugly.:lol:

del
10-02-2018, 04:44 AM
how far from Schleswig Holstein are you Dave?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bucknut
10-02-2018, 10:16 AM
That is a very cool gold coin! I prefer the that much more than the goddess.

Full Metal Digger
10-02-2018, 11:09 AM
how far from Schleswig Holstein are you Dave?

Dan, Schleswig Holstein is the northern most state in Germany and about a 8-hour drive from me. Why?

del
10-02-2018, 11:13 AM
I have a friend who is there now Allyson ( detecting diva) I was wondering how close she is to you.
Dan, Schleswig Holstein is the northern most state in Germany and about a 8-hour drive from me. Why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ill Digger
10-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Hmmm. Tough call.
Like you, having never sold any of my finds, I dont know what I would've done. :dontknow:
But as they say... gold is king!

The question is, how are you feeling about the trade now that is a done deal?