PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to an unknown Detectorist

wisconsin digger
10-07-2018, 05:49 PM
The last week I have been on a Clad quest to get to 5000 clad quarters. Well I made it with 95 quarters in the last week but had a few silver surprises including and unknown detectorists plug where he left me a well worn Mercury Dime. I also picked up 2 other Merc's during the week. This year I have found 42 Merc,s with 30 being unique dates or MM's. Usually most of my Merc's are from the 40's. Thx Wisconsin Digger
I also included a photo of a play coin I found today that was quite nice. It is copper or brass type material and the size of a half dime. The obverse has a portrait head but I cannot make it out. Kind of a unusuall coin.

OxShoeDrew
10-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Jeesh, that coin has a Wood's Irish Hibernia look to it...but it also looks like Richard Nixon :lol: ...Oliver Hardy, WC Fields? Sorry, I'm no help. Congrats on the huge milestone though!!:congrats:

wisconsin digger
10-07-2018, 09:12 PM
I think you nailed it, I think it is Tricky Dick. WD

Tony Two-Cent
10-08-2018, 09:49 AM
Good job! How generous of the unknown detectorist to leave a Merc for you! :yes:

I like the drink token too! Does it say anything on the other side?

I found that exact same play coin in a school yard in 2013. It has a portrait of FDR on it. You're right, it is a tiny coin!

wisconsin digger
10-08-2018, 10:22 AM
Thanks a bunch Tony. I said it before, this group always can identify the unknown. Richard Nixon was a good guess though. Thx all for the ID. WD On a side note it is a pretty nice play money coin. The token is from a local bowling alley.

BTV Digger
10-08-2018, 07:19 PM
Way to go on hitting the 5000 mark. That's just incredible!

John

aloldstuff
10-10-2018, 04:08 PM
That's an awful lot of quarters.....congrats on that milestone. I wonder how many of us on here have had the "unknown detectorist" leave a silver behind???