PDA

View Full Version : Finds from the past few weeks include old military and coppers

BTV Digger
10-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Hi folks. Here's some of my finds from the past two weeks. About 1/3rd of this came from my honey hole field, with the other 2/3rds coming from two other permission fields I have. Nabbed a number of relics including my first CW-era bullets here in VT (2 Williams cleaners and a standard Minie Ball) and 3 military buttons (my second c. 1830s Navy, a CW Eagle I and a NY Militia (1850s/60s). Also got an older pewter rosette, a fatty 1859 Indian and a M.J. Tobias pocket watch cover from the mid-late 1800s. My 3 coppers are all pretty much wiped, but I was able to ID all three - a no date KG3 Irish Halfpenny 17??, a 1798 Draped Bust LC and a no-date nearly slick Classic Head LC. I'm definitely gonna return to the field I found the CW bullets - was only there about an hour. This site is near the Canadian border here in the Champlain Valley and there were some non-CW related skirmishes up in this area related to the Finian Raids (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenian_raids) just after the war. Perhaps this site is where one of them took place. Thanks for looking and HH!

John

Bucknut
10-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Great finds! Really like the early LCs. Great time of year when the fields get harvested....I need to line up a few permissions!

Tony Two-Cent
10-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Wonderful finds! I love the early coppers, the 1859 Fatty Indian Head (date positively identifiable because there's no shield on the back) and the Patent Lever pocket watch cover is interesting too. Great military items as well. You found a little bit of everything. FUN!

:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
10-10-2018, 02:29 PM
Some oldie buttons! I never found one of those bullets...maybe some day. Neat watch cover too! Congrats, john!

Lodge Scent
10-11-2018, 04:03 PM
Lots of nice digs John. I like that pocket watch cover. What are the 2 holes on the cover for ?

Digger Don
10-14-2018, 12:21 PM
Great variety of finds. Love the old coppers!:congrats:

Noah
10-15-2018, 03:31 PM
Now those are the kind of finds that would get me excited. Love the old buttons!

aloldstuff
10-16-2018, 02:26 PM
Lots of nice digs John. I like that pocket watch cover. What are the 2 holes on the cover for ?

Pretty sure that one of the holes would be for the key to wind the watch. Not sure on the other.

John, some awesome digs. Your honey field is something I would be taking off of work to detect. Best of luck on your return visit.

del
10-16-2018, 05:34 PM
John , its always a real pleasure to go through your posts !:smitten: you have really come into your own as a hobbyist since you started here at AD , I know of a few members here are a bit envious of your finds as of late including myself . Keep up the great work sir !:notworthy:

Dan

Donnie B
10-17-2018, 05:52 AM
Great finds! I love those William's Cleaners!

BTV Digger
10-17-2018, 08:04 AM
Great finds! Really like the early LCs. Great time of year when the fields get harvested....I need to line up a few permissions!

Thanks Jared. Yeah, early spring and fall are becoming my favorite times of the year.

Wonderful finds! I love the early coppers, the 1859 Fatty Indian Head (date positively identifiable because there's no shield on the back) and the Patent Lever pocket watch cover is interesting too. Great military items as well. You found a little bit of everything. FUN!

Thanks Tony. You know, I checked and my eyes deceived me on the IH. It's not an 1859 (no shield). I believe now it's an 1860.

:congrats:

Some oldie buttons! I never found one of those bullets...maybe some day. Neat watch cover too! Congrats, john!

Thanks Drew!

Hi Jeff and thanks man! The holes, as Al speaks of below are keyholes for the winding mechanism. I did a bit of quick research online and found several examples of M.J. Tobias watch covers illustrating this.

Great variety of finds. Love the old coppers!:congrats:

Thanks Don!

Now those are the kind of finds that would get me excited. Love the old buttons!

Thanks much Tim! They're not in the best of shape, but heck, I'll take 'em!

Pretty sure that one of the holes would be for the key to wind the watch. Not sure on the other.

John, some awesome digs. Your honey field is something I would be taking off of work to detect. Best of luck on your return visit.

Thanks for the clarification on the holes Al, and I had discovered the same. Yeah, our two honey fields are something to cherish. Don't come across ones like that too often. Mine is starting to thin out a bit now, but will always be a fall-back spot after they plow/row each year. I'm sure there's always a few things left behind. The great thing about this field is as long as you're more than 20 yds away from the road, nearly all signals above 60 VDI on the AT Pro are something good.

John , its always a real pleasure to go through your posts !:smitten: you have really come into your own as a hobbyist since you started here at AD , I know of a few members here are a bit envious of your finds as of late including myself . Keep up the great work sir !:notworthy:

Dan

Thanks for the complement Dan! Yeah, this has been a wonderful year for me. I've found a nice mix of doing PP fields in the spring/fall and cellar holes over the summer. The private permission fields have really opened my eyes on just how much untouched potential still lies up here.

Great finds! I love those William's Cleaners!

Thanks Donnie! I love the old ammo also.