PDA

View Full Version : Bucket list coin

aloldstuff
10-16-2018, 11:57 AM
I have been getting out but had not gotten anything really worth posting about. Today I went to my favorite field, the one that gives me all the coppers.

Spent about 4 hours today and will be going back Thursday.

The highlight of the day is the 1788 MASS copper. I think its in pretty good shape as are most of the coppers that come out of this field. I believe that this is copper #31 for me from this field. Other state coppers to come out of this place are CONN, and Vermont.

The first two pics are as I dug it and the other 2 pics are with some REN was on it.

Got a small flat button and the back mark reads double gilt, but no gilt left. Got a buckle of some sort, a pocket knife, another junior g-man badge and some sort of brass turny thing???

If anybody has any ideas of what the MASS copper would or could possibly grade out as please feel free to let me know.

Bucknut
10-16-2018, 12:25 PM
That is a nice bucket lister! Its great when you get a field copper and you have details like that. 31 coppers from that field is amazing!

Tony Two-Cent
10-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Wonderful Massachusetts copper, Al! That is one that is on most people's bucket list. Yours is a really nice example. Not much wear on it at all. That had to be thrilling to dig.

That field is a dream site for sure. I would give my left arm for a site like that. :yes:

:congrats:

Digger Don
10-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Man, what I would give to dig a coin like that!!!:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
10-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Great find Al! I wonder if that field was some kind of trading post back during colonial times. Awesome detail especially for a field copper. Congrats and well done!

aloldstuff
10-16-2018, 03:42 PM
That is a nice bucket lister! Its great when you get a field copper and you have details like that. 31 coppers from that field is amazing!

thanks bucknut. What I find amazing is that I have brought several other detectorists to this field and so far I am the only one to dig a copper.

Wonderful Massachusetts copper, Al! That is one that is on most people's bucket list. Yours is a really nice example. Not much wear on it at all. That had to be thrilling to dig.

That field is a dream site for sure. I would give my left arm for a site like that. :yes:

:congrats:

Tony, it was a thrill to see that coin in my hand. By the way, I haven't seen any 1 arm detectorists.....:lol:

Man, what I would give to dig a coin like that!!!:congrats:

Thank Don. It sure put a smile on my face.

Great find Al! I wonder if that field was some kind of trading post back during colonial times. Awesome detail especially for a field copper. Congrats and well done!

Thanks Dave. Dan and I have surmised that this was part of a very large farm and that probably the workers were paid daily in coin. This farm is not that large but coins have come from all corners.

The Rebel
10-16-2018, 05:21 PM
WTG Al! Still looking for one of those to add to my collection. All of the rain has really helped us!

del
10-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Nice coin Al and one that has eluded me all these years if I'm not mistaken and indeed a 1788 the Ryder 1-D looks closest http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/massachusetts_coppers/1788_ma_cents/1788_ma_cent_ryder_01_D.htm

Congrats , wish I had Thursday off to join you back in that "copper field"

Dan

aloldstuff
10-16-2018, 05:49 PM
WTG Al! Still looking for one of those to add to my collection. All of the rain has really helped us!

Yes, the recent rain most likely made this find possible.

Nice coin Al and one that has eluded me all these years if I'm not mistaken and indeed a 1788 the Ryder 1-D looks closest http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/massachusetts_coppers/1788_ma_cents/1788_ma_cent_ryder_01_D.htm

Congrats , wish I had Thursday off to join you back in that "copper field"

Dan

I was going to call you about going. Thanks for the ID.

OxShoeDrew
10-16-2018, 06:13 PM
What a good looking coin, Al! Congrats on your bucketlister!! That has been an amazing field!

Oneil1979
10-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Beautifull piece of history, just by your picture I would grade the coin VG8 to VG10, I have enclosed a Mint state 66 picture so you can see. Possible a F8 it is missing detail ( to be excpected ) if you ( or anyone reading this) I suggest getting the PCGS Photograde app is covers all american coins including colonial and state pre and post 1776. Keep in mind it’s hard to tell without holding the coin but I’m just giving you a guesstimate based on what I see hope this helps.

Donnie B
10-17-2018, 05:50 AM
That's a banner find all day! Congrats and it's in gorgeous condition! :perfect10:

BTV Digger
10-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Just a great coin Al! Love any state copper, no matter the variety. What a field huh? Yours tops my current honey field for coppers (only a mere 26 to date). As to what may have gone on at these fields, my mind is always thinking: a trading post, where workers were paid, or just an old jar of coins that was buried and scattered to history? All seem plausible to me.

John

Lodge Scent
10-17-2018, 10:54 AM
I am very jealous Al! That is a coin very near the top of my list (right behind a MA silver). That MA is in great shape too! Congrats. :envious:

aloldstuff
10-17-2018, 06:19 PM
Beautifull piece of history, just by your picture I would grade the coin VG8 to VG10, I have enclosed a Mint state 66 picture so you can see. Possible a F8 it is missing detail ( to be excpected ) if you ( or anyone reading this) I suggest getting the PCGS Photograde app is covers all american coins including colonial and state pre and post 1776. Keep in mind it’s hard to tell without holding the coin but I’m just giving you a guesstimate based on what I see hope this helps.

Thanks for your input. I do have the PCGS Photograde app. Seems I couldn't find the MASS copper section, but after a little digging I found it.

Just a great coin Al! Love any state copper, no matter the variety. What a field huh? Yours tops my current honey field for coppers (only a mere 26 to date). As to what may have gone on at these fields, my mind is always thinking: a trading post, where workers were paid, or just an old jar of coins that was buried and scattered to history? All seem plausible to me.

John

John, give it time and I am sure that your field will surpass mine in coppers. As far as activity on this farm all your suggestions could fit.

I am very jealous Al! That is a coin very near the top of my list (right behind a MA silver). That MA is in great shape too! Congrats. :envious:

Jeff, I don't want anyone to be jealous of this coin. This is my 10th state copper, CT's and a Vermont. About time I finally got one from my home state. I feel very fortunate and lucky to get this coin.

aloldstuff
10-18-2018, 12:17 PM
That's a banner find all day! Congrats and it's in gorgeous condition! :perfect10:

Thanks Donnie....can you believe that I am still smiling

MIKE54
10-21-2018, 09:34 AM
Great bucket lister Al! You slipped this one by me by putting it in the relics section which I don't read much but will from now on.

aloldstuff
10-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Great bucket lister Al! You slipped this one by me by putting it in the relics section which I don't read much but will from now on.

didn't mean to confuse you....:lol:. How's that 2nd hip?

MIKE54
10-21-2018, 06:07 PM
didn't mean to confuse you....:lol:. How's that 2nd hip?Getting better after 3 weeks. My goal is to get out in mid November and detect. We will see. Thanks Al

Noah
10-24-2018, 04:24 PM
:perfect10: