PDA

View Full Version : Finds from yesterday include more LCs, old ammo and a mystery piece of lead

BTV Digger
10-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Hi folks. Got out to the same fields I posted on last week - the ones with the CW bullets etc. This time I was solo. These fields have four home sites on them, but most of my finds have come from just two of them, especially one which is small and not obvious. The one large site appears to have been hammered at some point in the distant past, as the farmer told me nobody has hunted them. Anyway, dug a few more nice relics - clock parts, a buckle, spoons, etc.. Coppers include an 186? IH (not a fatty), a late-date, no-date Braided Hair and an 1838 Bouquet-style pre-confederation Canadian commerce token. Also dug a few more CW-era bullets (one fired) and a ginormous musket ball. The buttons were all standard fare. The most intriguing item was a small, rectangular lead plate with writing on it. Seems to read "Home Boy" if my eyes don't deceive me, but the more I look at it, the first word could be anything and the last word could be "Roy". :lol: Any guesses out there - shoot 'em my way! Thanks for looking and HH!

John

Tony Two-Cent
10-17-2018, 11:49 AM
More wonderful finds, John! Those are some great old home sites you have to hunt!

I'm pretty sure the Large Cent is a Matron Head. The bust on the obverse looks like a Matron, and the line under the word "Cent" on the reverse would confirm this. It might be from the 1830s or older.

I also have a feeling that the Indian Head is a fatty. The color sure looks like a copper-nickel Fatty and not a bronze cent to my eye.

Quite a coincidence that you found one of those Canadian "Un Sous" tokens right after Digger Don found one. I had never seen one posted on the forum before and suddenly there are two of them!

I can't help you much on the lead piece. It's pretty cool, whatever it says on it.

Congrats on the terrific finds! :clapping:

The Rebel
10-17-2018, 12:13 PM
Awesome Hunt! Did you try googling "Home Boy" :lol::rofl:

OxShoeDrew
10-17-2018, 01:32 PM
I agree with Tony on that Indian, but you probably know if it is a fatty or not just by its thickness.
I have relatives from Canada with the last name Roy....they say it means king. So maybe it's just a surname.. or a king...who knows? Congrats on some wonderful keepers. You have some really nice sites up there. Hey, btw John, have you found many Vermont coppers? I've found a couple way down here.

BTV Digger
10-18-2018, 09:05 PM
More wonderful finds, John! Those are some great old home sites you have to hunt!

I'm pretty sure the Large Cent is a Matron Head. The bust on the obverse looks like a Matron, and the line under the word "Cent" on the reverse would confirm this. It might be from the 1830s or older.

I also have a feeling that the Indian Head is a fatty. The color sure looks like a copper-nickel Fatty and not a bronze cent to my eye.

Quite a coincidence that you found one of those Canadian "Un Sous" tokens right after Digger Don found one. I had never seen one posted on the forum before and suddenly there are two of them!

I can't help you much on the lead piece. It's pretty cool, whatever it says on it.

Congrats on the terrific finds! :clapping:

Thanks for the LC I’d Tony! I should’ve looked at the reverse more carefully. It’s exactly what you said, a late date matron or first year crossover Braided Hair - 1836-1839. The IH is definitely not a fatty though. If I had to make a stab on the date it’s an 1864. All these coins have come from a low swale in this field which is very wet. That fact, combined with the iron field has corroded the coins here. Can’t see why anyone would build a home here, though maybe the landscape has changed over time.

Awesome Hunt! Did you try googling "Home Boy" :lol::rofl:

Thanks much! I did try Googling it, but the hits were all filled with modern slang and useless sites.

I agree with Tony on that Indian, but you probably know if it is a fatty or not just by its thickness.
I have relatives from Canada with the last name Roy....they say it means king. So maybe it's just a surname.. or a king...who knows? Congrats on some wonderful keepers. You have some really nice sites up there. Hey, btw John, have you found many Vermont coppers? I've found a couple way down here.

Thanks Drew. Yeah, it’s definitely not a fatty. I’ve dug several of those and this is not one of them. As I said to Tony I think it’s an 1864. The coins are all fairly corroded at this site - a wet one. You know, I’ve never dug a VT copper and honestly it’s the #1 bucket lister for me. You’d think that with all the old sites I hit, and living just an hour and a half from the original mint site there’d be one with my name on it. Maybe someday!

aloldstuff
10-19-2018, 04:30 AM
Again some fantastic keepers. That Canadian token is a great find and as Tony said, never seen one posted now our members have posted two. Sorry about the wetness of the field, we all know what that situation can do to coins. Hang in there, a Vermont copper is out there with your name on it and I don't mean counterstamped.

rharris
10-19-2018, 07:20 AM
Great job! That lead thing might say "Plow Boy". There was a tobacco by that name. It was also a term used long ago for horses and the young man that would plow with them.
Congrats!

Lodge Scent
10-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Love the token John. Is it possible that says "SON" instead of "BOY" ?