PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's old coins and relics - plus a heart stopping moment

BTV Digger
10-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Hi folks. Here's my finds from yesterday at a new permission site. 3 coins - a decent 1775 KG 3 with nice green patina, a no date earlier style Matron LC and a fairly decent '65 IH. Got about 8 buttons, a few with nice floral patterns, musket ball, crotal bell, heart shaped heel plate and my first complete bat wing buckle. :yes: I've yet to educate myself fully to determine whether these 1770s KG3s are American counterfeits or the real deal. Seems 1775 could be both. Also, what is the approximate date for those bat wings? Late 1700s?

Now for my troubling moment. After I returned home yesterday evening, I realized I was missing my gold wedding band!!!:shocked04: I had it refitted a few months back and it's a little on the loose side now. Short end of the story - I went back and viewed my video shots to determine when I had the ring on and then when I didn't. This narrowed the search area down quite a bit as I was only in one field and most of my holes were in an approximate 50 yd X 50 yd square area within close proximity to my car. So I returned to the field with this in mind today and found the ring in about 30 minutes. WHEW!!!! Crisis avoided and lesson learned. I'm gonna remove the ring before hunting from now on. Thanks for looking and HH!

John

aloldstuff
10-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Another great hunt. What did your KG ring up as? My counterfeits on the V3i ring up aroung 55 where a genuine kG is around 78-82.

Good job on the ring recovery.......whew

Digger Don
10-23-2018, 06:24 PM
:wow: What a great bunch of finds. A little bit of everything!
I'm happy to hear that you recovered your ring. FIND OF THE Day :thumbsup01:

Bucknut
10-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Great finds! And big congrats on finding your ring. Hey that's a ring return too! You should video yourself returning it back to yourself.

OxShoeDrew
10-23-2018, 07:17 PM
John, that's one of the great hunts posted!! :happy: I reserve the happy dance for just such hunts! I've heard those batwings called baldrick chest buckles. I've heard late 1700s to early 1800s...but only on the forums.

You know, before detecting I was a golfer. I would get a blister under my wedding band, so in the middle of a round I'd take it off..one day I took it off and held it between the club and my hand...on my follow through the ring went flying down an embankment never to be seen again. I replaced it and some years later I "smartened up"...I took it off before the round. I put it in my coin holder in my car...someone saw it, opened my car door and took it. So I lost TWO wedding rings and my wife STILL loves me! :)
but I digress...you hunt was fabulous!!

Lodge Scent
10-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Great hunt! I am not sure all wives would be as understanding as Mrs. Ox Shoe is. My ring might as well be welded on. I just tried to get it off and can't get it over my knuckle :shocked01: But I also digress...... Nice bunch of finds. I like that KG3.

Noah
10-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Gotta love the permissions. :wow:

del
10-24-2018, 04:18 PM
That hunt would of been very exciting all on its own no need to give yourself even more excitement by losing the Ring !;) I'd love to see a few close ups of the 1775 copper to determine just what it may be , the "bat wing" buckles are very curios . Some say belt or baldric buckle and some say animal harness related , I've seen may recovered near a cellar and many found in a field .

Dan

BTV Digger
10-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Another great hunt. What did your KG ring up as? My counterfeits on the V3i ring up aroung 55 where a genuine kG is around 78-82.

Good job on the ring recovery.......whew

Thanks Al. I tested it again this evening and it rings up a steady 82-83 vdi on my AT-Pro. So maybe genuine?

:wow: What a great bunch of finds. A little bit of everything!
I'm happy to hear that you recovered your ring. FIND OF THE Day :thumbsup01:

Yeah, for sure Don. Really a bittersweet feeling looking over my finds and realizing I had one really important one still to find!

Great finds! And big congrats on finding your ring. Hey that's a ring return too! You should video yourself returning it back to yourself.

Lol! Yeah, the most important ring return I'll ever do!

John, that's one of the great hunts posted!! :happy: I reserve the happy dance for just such hunts! I've heard those batwings called baldrick chest buckles. I've heard late 1700s to early 1800s...but only on the forums.

You know, before detecting I was a golfer. I would get a blister under my wedding band, so in the middle of a round I'd take it off..one day I took it off and held it between the club and my hand...on my follow through the ring went flying down an embankment never to be seen again. I replaced it and some years later I "smartened up"...I took it off before the round. I put it in my coin holder in my car...someone saw it, opened my car door and took it. So I lost TWO wedding rings and my wife STILL loves me! :)
but I digress...you hunt was fabulous!!

Thanks Drew, and for your side of the story also! I've got a great woman too - always let's me hunt when I want, even when it's to put off the occasional dreaded home project! I read similar on those buckles - so late 1700s to about 1850 it is! That'll be my take unless I see otherwise.

Great hunt! I am not sure all wives would be as understanding as Mrs. Ox Shoe is. My ring might as well be welded on. I just tried to get it off and can't get it over my knuckle :shocked01: But I also digress...... Nice bunch of finds. I like that KG3.

Thanks Jeff! You know, your issue is exactly why I had mine resized. I'm not crazily overweight or anything, being fairly tall, but the fingers just aren't as thin as they were back in my 20s!

Gotta love the permissions. :wow:

Field permissions, that is. At least that's what I'm sold on up here for now! Thanks Tim.

That hunt would of been very exciting all on its own no need to give yourself even more excitement by losing the Ring !;) I'd love to see a few close ups of the 1775 copper to determine just what it may be , the "bat wing" buckles are very curios . Some say belt or baldric buckle and some say animal harness related , I've seen may recovered near a cellar and many found in a field .

Dan

Thanks much Dan. I've read similar after some quick reading - so the term "bat wing" may be bit erroneous. I'm just happy to have finally found a complete one after finding several partial frags. Here's a few close-ups of the KG3. As I said to Al, it rings up fairly high 82-83 on my AT-Pro. The green patina is fairly thick on some portions of the coin, so I put a little forehead grease on them and held them at an angle to give a bit more perspective.

Digger_O'Dell
10-24-2018, 08:25 PM
Great finds! Always wanted one of those old heel plates. That KG is in pretty nice condition too, congrats!
Nice recovery of your band. Lucky you didnt have to call in the ring finders! :lol:

del
10-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Thanks much Dan. I've read similar after some quick reading - so the term "bat wing" may be bit erroneous. I'm just happy to have finally found a complete one after finding several partial frags. Here's a few close-ups of the KG3. As I said to Al, it rings up fairly high 82-83 on my AT-Pro. The green patina is fairly thick on some portions of the coin, so I put a little forehead grease on them and held them at an angle to give a bit more perspective.

John it looks like a British imitation of some sort (there are many group categories which I'm not that familiar with) , definitely not a Machin's variety . It still is a great looking copper and held up well for a field find . I'm trying to do a general consensus on these types of buckles to determine just what their true purpose was , were all you parts to these and this found in a farm field ? Home site cellar hole ?

Dan

BTV Digger
10-25-2018, 03:46 PM
John it looks like a British imitation of some sort (there are many group categories which I'm not that familiar with) , definitely not a Machin's variety . It still is a great looking copper and held up well for a field find . I'm trying to do a general consensus on these types of buckles to determine just what their true purpose was , were all you parts to these and this found in a farm field ? Home site cellar hole ?

Dan

Thanks Dan. All of my finds posted here were from one farm field - plowed corn at this point and site of an old home. Earliest maps for my area date to the mid 1850s and this site was listed on this and a later date c. 1870 map. It's gone on a USGS map from c. 1915 to give you some perspective. There are so many field home sites like this up here - some are fruitful, some are not. I've been quite fortunate this year to have found several good ones.

DavidGC
10-25-2018, 03:59 PM
John - You've had an amazing season.
Congrats.