PDA

View Full Version : Bounced around several sites yesterday - rather slow but found a few decent relics

BTV Digger
10-31-2018, 08:18 AM
Hi folks. Time is running out on me up here at 45N lat. near the border in VT as colder weather is setting in. Was looking forward to hitting 2 new field sites today, but once arriving I found both were incredibly trashy with can slaw, pull tabs and 100's of frags of some aluminum/lead pot from long ago. :( Spent 2 hours there and finally gave up - only pulling one nice relic - the early hem weight with a #4 on it. So I returned to some of the sites I hit last week and pulled a few more bullets (a std. Minie ball and another Williams Cleaner w/o the base), the buttons and the toe plate. Heading home I stopped by another one of my heavily hunted permission sites. Spent only 1/2 hour there knowing there wasn't much left, but got an iffy/scratchy high tone that I gambled on and was happy to see a an 1844 Bank of Montreal Half Penny Token staring back at me. :happydance01:These are quite common finds up here - nearly as common as mid-date LCs. Given the amount of Canadian small change you see up here even today it's not illogical to think these tokens circulated interchangeably with American coins way back when. Thanks for looking at HH!

John

Bucknut
10-31-2018, 08:30 AM
Nice early Canadian Bank Token save!

Full Metal Digger
10-31-2018, 10:42 AM
Those bullets are gorgeous!!!! Awesome patina and shape. Congrats. Winter is coming here in Germany too but we don't get the arctic cold like you do there. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Digger_O'Dell
10-31-2018, 03:08 PM
Nice looking bullets, and great save on the bank token. Dont see those found too often.

Lodge Scent
10-31-2018, 04:01 PM
got an iffy/scratchy high tone that I gambled on and was happy to see a an 1844 Bank of Montreal Half Penny Token staring back at me. :happydance01:These are quite common finds up here - nearly as common as mid-date LCs. Given the amount of Canadian small change you see up here even today it's not illogical to think these tokens circulated interchangeably with American coins way back when.

Seed a few of those tokens down here in MA will you John? I've been hoping to find one of those for quite a while. Nice digs!

Noah
11-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Alright. Save me some tokens will you?!

aloldstuff
11-01-2018, 04:09 PM
I don't think I have ever seen a hem weight with a number on it. Great save on the token and congrats on getting some more CW bullets. Sorry to hear of your weather dilemma but you do live in upper VT.....:)

OxShoeDrew
11-05-2018, 08:04 PM
I've seen that token before...probably from your posts. I'm with Al, I've never seen a hem weight with a number. Never dug one of those CW type bullets either. That's some solid late season hunting...see you when your igloo thaws, John :lol:

BTV Digger
11-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Nice early Canadian Bank Token save!

Thanks Jared!

Those bullets are gorgeous!!!! Awesome patina and shape. Congrats. Winter is coming here in Germany too but we don't get the arctic cold like you do there. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Thanks Dave. If you're willing to brave the damp and near-winter chill you can make it into early December up here - not much longer though.

Nice looking bullets, and great save on the bank token. Dont see those found too often.

Thanks much!

Seed a few of those tokens down here in MA will you John? I've been hoping to find one of those for quite a while. Nice digs!

Ha ha! I'm sure there's one with your name on it somewhere Jeff.

Alright. Save me some tokens will you?!

Will do Tim!

I don't think I have ever seen a hem weight with a number on it. Great save on the token and congrats on getting some more CW bullets. Sorry to hear of your weather dilemma but you do live in upper VT.....:)

Yup, the crummy weather is the price I have to pay living this far north. Oh well. I've never seen a hemweight with a number on it either Al, but unless I'm mistaken I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

I've seen that token before...probably from your posts. I'm with Al, I've never seen a hem weight with a number. Never dug one of those CW type bullets either. That's some solid late season hunting...see you when your igloo thaws, John :lol:

Thanks Drew. I've got a few more weeks left up here, but not too much longer. Maybe I can take a jaunt down to southern New England at some point and join some of you goofballs in the banana belt!