PDA

View Full Version : Oldest US Silver & I can't believe I found it in Cheese Land

wisconsin digger
11-03-2018, 07:59 PM
Found a coin today I thought I would never find as I never even thought of finding one. I dug a 1855 Seated Half Dime (square nail holed). This is a Park I have found several Barber dimes and Indians along with a Civil War Store Card Token coin so it has some age. I usually get fooled by play money but the more I cleaned the coin the more I thought it was for real. On the day I also found a Merc, Rosie, Buffalo and 6 Wheaties. I also found my 1st Lead soldier and a really nice Silver ring. It does say dime on the back of the Half Dime so I'll count that as a "cut me some slack" trifecta. I may even make 100 silver as todays count puts me at 98. When I logged my coins I noticed I hit 2800 Wheaties as well today. Good day all the way around. Wisconsin Digger

Digger_O'Dell
11-03-2018, 08:08 PM
That's awesome, congrats But you have to think that if we find the occasional largie and CW stuff here, why not a half dime? Very cool lead soldier too. Think I may have a couple from the same set. Get a couple more, and we can play war! :lol:
Nice ring, and I'll say "half" of a trifecta. :grin:

Fire Fighter 43
11-03-2018, 11:11 PM
WOW!! Awsome find Dave, congrats. That’s one coin that has never passed under my coil. WTG

Digger Don
11-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Congrats on your oldest silver!! Those half dimes don't show up to often!
And that square hole just adds character to it. Awesome find!!!:clapping:

Ill Digger
11-04-2018, 12:01 PM
Sweet little find for sure!

That's one that's eluded me so far also too [emoji34]
Congrats on putting one in the keeper bag finally!! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Bucknut
11-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Haha! That is a great "cut me some slack" dime trifecta!

Donnie B
11-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Beautiful Half Dime! Congrats on your oldest silver!

aloldstuff
11-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Congrats on your oldest US silver. That lead soldier is an item that has eluded me over the years....someday though.

BTV Digger
11-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Congratulations on your oldest silver. Love the square nail hole in it. Wonder if someone tacked it to some long gone old tree in that park? BTW, seated half dimes and dimes circulated until about the turn of the century.

John

Tony Two-Cent
11-08-2018, 02:17 PM
I bet that 1855 Half Dime put a big smile on your face when you realized what it was! You were probably thinking, "No way!" That is an oldie for sure. Way to go!

I really like the lead soldier too. I would guess that it's WWI era. Nice!

And the silver ring is nothing to sneeze at either. Does it have elephants on it? Very cool!

:congrats:

wisconsin digger
11-09-2018, 11:09 AM
You are exactly right Tony, I've been fooled before and the time it turned out to be one I didn't think it was. I definitely was smiling. The lead soldier is the first one I have found and I thought I was digging an old nickel and yes the ring has elephants. Today I have an inch of snow on the ground. Big Bummer WD

MIKE54
11-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Great bucket lister, I'm still looking for one too. That ring is awesome. Never quite understood the square nail hole in a coin thing. I found this beautiful large cent in the same condition. Even had a round hole too. 65490