PDA

View Full Version : Invite/Display

RobW
09-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I am not one to toot my own horn. Especially on a site like this where I am by no means a big hitter like some (accgghhmmm...Angel...). As much as we all tease him, it's all in good fun. But I know that I have the utmost respect for him and all that he does for this board and bringing us together and for all of his experience and insights he provides.

However. It came up in a conversation I had with someone in town (Westfield, MA) about my finds on our town green. They had removed several feet of soil(but then added it back..good use of our tax $) but it allowed for a few good weeks of detecting and finding some good ole stuff. Westfield is a small town and that person told another, and another. Next thing I knew, the local paper wanted to do a story on the finds, then the Library/Museum asked me to display them. So I am in the process of putting a small display together on my finds from the green and on the hobby of metal detecting.

The display is there now (Westfield Anteneum...aka Library), I'm still adding to it. So if any of you locals are rained out one day...something to do....oh that was the invite....

del
09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
pretty cool opportunity to have something like that done Rob , congrats on the display and getting a little recognition to boot. thumbsup01

Lowjiber
09-08-2010, 02:31 PM
That's pretty impressive.

coinnut
09-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Very nice Mr. celebrity man lol You 're looking good, even better with the forum plug on there :clapping: I hope they don't confiscate your finds now :interesting:

angellionel
09-08-2010, 07:13 PM
A big hitter? :confused: I'm not a big hitter, I just hit the sites hard. lol

Wow Rob, that is an impressive display. Congrats! The folks visiting the Library/Museum will no doubt enjoy viewing the display and getting a glimpse of the town's history. :yes: Hey, I like that metal detecting site. lol

kenfen
09-08-2010, 07:39 PM
What a great way to promote the hobby! You've got a nice collection and I'm glad they didn't haul the dirt to the landfill. They did that here at the park and I had to have a few days of mourning for all the lost coins.

Regards, Ken

pulltabsteve
09-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Nice display Rob!

coinnut
09-08-2010, 08:24 PM
What a great way to promote the hobby! You've got a nice collection and I'm glad they didn't haul the dirt to the landfill. They did that here at the park and I had to have a few days of mourning for all the lost coins.

Regards, Ken

Time to find that landfill lol

RobW
09-09-2010, 07:41 AM

Regards, Ken

They removed about 2 feet+ so lost a few eras of coins. Been trying to find where it went. I pulled about 30 quality coins from there plus some misc. I included in the display a few other finds from the immediate area, including the bell I found across the street when Geoarge (aka coinnut) and I went out. It's an interesting piece.....should have placed a bucket of all the trash I pulled too!!!!!!!

I'm going to put an older detector I have in the display and they asked me to display some of my Civil War finds from when I lived back in TN....they don't see much of that here in MA.