PDA

View Full Version : A day of field hunting.

Fire Fighter 43
11-11-2018, 06:03 PM
A few weeks ago I planned a day to meet with Tim (Ill Digger) so he could give me my pouch of goodies from our England trip and do some swinging. We picked a Saturday and a half way point for the two of us. I told him I would get to work locating a couple sites. I managed to locate and obtain permission for 3 fields. All 3 had 1 room school houses on them at one time and 1 field also housed a few other buildings back in the 1870’s. Tim also invited our friend Ted to make it a threesome. The weather was less than perfect by the time the day came around. It had snowed about an inch the day before and the temps dropped down into the teens. The day started at about 18* with a wind chill at about 6*. The first few inches of ground were frozen solid.
The day started out really slow for all of us on site one. Ted managed the best find, an 1892 British Penny. Tim found a nice flat button with a flower pattern. And I got the only US coin a 1904 Indian.
Site two started with a couple wheats from Tim and I. I popped a bent up ring that I though might be a handle for a small silver spoon. After close examination by Tim he thought it was a ring. I cleaned it up when I got home and sure enough it was a ring and it was stamped “Sterling”. What’s different about this ring is the stamp is on the outside. After the ring I went on an Indian streak with 3 in a row 1891, 1881 & 1908. Then I got a solid 12 on the Equinox which usually means Nickle. It turned out to be a Sheild Nickel with a date of 1867, type II, no rays. It’s only the 2Nd sheild nickel I’ve found. Needless to say it made my day. The 3rd site started out good with 2 wheats for Tim and 1 for me in the first 15 minutes and then it dried up.

Bucknut
11-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Great finds and great job getting that date off the shield nik!

Full Metal Digger
11-12-2018, 12:55 AM
Man, that sounds SOOOOO cold! And frozen ground too. Looks like you were rewarded for your bravery though. Nice little tribe of indians and shield nickel.

Ill Digger
11-12-2018, 01:23 PM
It was definitely your day! You made some nice finds Jeff!
Congrats!!:grin:
Thanks again for the invite!
See ya in a couple of weeks :thumbsup02:

Digger Don
11-12-2018, 01:46 PM
I would say you had a very good hunt.
I love seeing Shield nickels posted.
See ya in a couple of weeks :thumbsup02:

aloldstuff
11-13-2018, 06:14 AM
Chilly temps....frozen ground....yet you still get the goodies. Nice hunting and congrats on t he shield nick. :thumbsup02:

BTV Digger
11-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Some solid finds there, and goes to show how strong the drive is to detect for us northerners this time of year! Congrats on the Shield Nickel also. I've seen two dug, but never unearthed one myself as of yet.

John

wisconsin digger
11-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Nice recoveries. Never found a shield nickel so congrats on that elusive coin. Nice research. I need to get off my butt this winter and get a little creative as well on some hidden spots. Congrats on all the finds. WD

badgers325
11-21-2018, 09:10 AM
Nice recoveries. I was thinking about you guys on that Saturday and how miserable it was outside. Finding what you did will certainly keep you warm.

milco
12-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Great finds! Way to find the cold temps and recover some goodies! Congrats on the shield nickel!