PDA

View Full Version : 18 lb cannonball

Full Metal Digger
11-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Hey diggers,
Yesterday I took a vacation day and went detecting at the 1600's siege site. Tom and Justin were able to join me. I got a faint high tone that sounded pretty sweet. I figured it was a coin or button perhaps. After I had dug down over a foot and still had not reached it I realized it was something big and deep. At 2 feet deep my pin pointer was going crazy but I had to dig another 8 or 10 inches (in HARD sand and rock) to get to the target. When I saw the smooth dome shaped top I knew I had a cannonball! Trying to lift an 18 lb cannonball straight up out of the hole is NOT easy, LOL. I had to make the hole wide enough for both my arms to fit in there too. This is my second cannonball. The other is a 3 lb and it feels like a feather compared to this one! Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Digger Don
11-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Wow, maybe I should start digging iron!!
Awesome find Dave!!
That sucker could do some real damage!!

aloldstuff
11-15-2018, 12:40 PM
Super deep and heavy. Congrats on getting it out of the hole.....now how are you going to get it home?? :lol:

Bucknut
11-15-2018, 01:37 PM
now how are you going to get it home?? :lol:

I was wondering the same thing.

Congrats Dave on a fantastic find!

Noah
11-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Can't wait for you to return and we can see your grand collection!! Hope you don't get the idea to charge!! :coffeelaugh:

Lodge Scent
11-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Word on the street is that Dave will be inviting the entire forum to his house when he gets back for a massive show and tell. I can hardly wait even if it is BYOB event. Though it would be nice if Dave served us a nice German kolsch or a top of the line Riesling while we enjoyed fondling all those awesome relics he recovered.

Donnie B
11-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Whoa! What a find!

calabash digger
11-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Congrats! That a giant cannon ball.