PDA

View Full Version : 2 More Buckles & Big Silver Spill in the Woods

Full Metal Digger
11-15-2018, 09:30 PM
Hey Diggers,
Besides the cannonball in my other post I also got a couple cool finds in the same area. The area I was detecting in had been hit pretty hard by me and the other guys in my group. I could see dig scars all over the place. I was mostly looking in areas where there were no dig scars. I got a big signal only 3 inches deep that sounded like a beer can. I decided to dig it and was shocked to see a big silver coin plop out! I rechecked the hole and got another signal! Out pops another big silver coin--I'm think all right, a spill! I filled the hole in and was checking all around for any other coins and about 1 foot away another screamer signal. Out comes two more coins and a thimble. Three big silver coins and aluminum-bronze coin from Tunisia plus the silver-plated thimble. Wouldn't you just love to know the story of how they got there?

A few feet away from the spill I got another loud signal that sounded just like modern trash and was happy to see a beautiful tombac shoe buckle come out of the ground. I have found pieces of tombac buckles but this is my first whole one. I imagine this would have belonged to a French officer in the early 1700's. The site was under siege three times: 1676, 1688, and lastly 1734 (castle destroyed). About an hour later I found my second spectacle buckle (it's a little bitty guy).

Finally, as I was working my way back to the car I got a sweet little signal in the trail and dug a tiny hammered silver coin. It's in horrible shape but it looks to be dated 1567. None of the local "coin guys" have been able to ID the coin yet so I'll have to let you know what it exactly is at a later date.

Here's some pics and thanks for looking and commenting. HH to all, Dave.

Bucknut
11-16-2018, 09:26 AM
You are living the dream over there! What a rush that had to be seeing big silvers coming out of the same hole! And of course you found some more buckles. Great job!

aloldstuff
11-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Such great finds on a consistent basis. I have to ask why people don't go to Germany for metal detecting trips like they do in the UK??

Full Metal Digger
11-16-2018, 10:44 AM
why people don't go to Germany for metal detecting trips like they do in the UK??

Al, My guess is the language difference for starters. It really isn't possible for me to have any kind of conversation with land owners over here. Also Germany has inconsistent detecting laws and rules with no organized way to sort, document, and declare treasure or not treasure. The UK has rules about how to split value with land-owners but German law doesn't have that either.

Tony Two-Cent
11-16-2018, 02:27 PM
That was quite a coin spill, Dave. So much of history for it to tell. Fascinating that there was a thimble with it.

The tombac buckle is beautiful, it cleaned up really well. It almost looks like silver. Nice!

The hammered coin is wonderful as well. I hope you are able to get an ID on it. So old!

:congrats:

Digger_O'Dell
11-18-2018, 02:46 AM
Those are some big silvers for sure! The buckles are great looking too. But, I'm really curious about that hammered silver. Anything on the other side? Keep us posted!

Digger Don
11-18-2018, 11:32 AM
I don't know what to say, except nice finds AGAIN !!
I hope you don't get tired of digging all that Super Old, Super Cool Stuff. I always look forward to your Texts, Forum posts and videos. Keep them coming!!!
Take care & HH

Full Metal Digger
11-18-2018, 11:56 AM
I'm really curious about that hammered silver. Anything on the other side?

The other side is worn completely smooth and has no discernible features.

milco
11-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Amazing stuff!!

MIKE54
11-29-2018, 09:15 PM
Those finds are really cool. How long are you there for ?

Full Metal Digger
11-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Those finds are really cool. How long are you there for ?

3 years and then it's back to Illinois!