PDA

View Full Version : Found Some Roman Coins

Full Metal Digger
11-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Hi Diggers,
The other day I went detecting in an area where Roman coins can be found. Between myself, Russ, and Tom, we found 22 coins in 4 hours. I found 6 but 4 were completely rotted and crumbled into dust once they dried out. Here's the 2 that could be saved. I spent about 40 minutes cleaning each coin.

These coins were minted between 351 and 353 A.D. and depict Magnentius the Usurper. The back depicts 2 winged "Victories" holding a placard which contains a prayer commemorating Magnentius' 5 years of rule as Caesar. The coins are slightly different as they were minted in two different cities. They aren't in the best of shape but considering they are 1,700 years old it's not so bad.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! Dave.

Cheap Thrills
11-22-2018, 06:17 PM
Very cool coins Daddy D. ! Another new name to the list of Caesars I had never previously heard of . It's great that you are in a location that makes such finds possible . I recently purchased some mixed coins from a garage sale . One appears to be very old and possibly Roman . I'm going to have to try and figure out where it came from . It would make a cool avatar but that's out of the question as I didn't find it detecting . Some of these Caesars on coins look like they had a Thanksgiving feast every day . I hope you Thanksgiving was great !

Bucknut
11-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Those 2 coins are really cool! Congrats!

Ill Digger
11-23-2018, 12:08 AM
Yes sir! For being Roman bronzes, those two are really nice! Too bad they are usually all chewed up. But like you said, what do you expect after 1700 years of fighting the elements!
Nice finds Dave!
Congrats! :grin:

Donnie B
11-23-2018, 08:02 AM
Beautiful coins. I really love the reverse on those coins as I have not seen that one before. I am a member of several UK Groups on Facebook as I love seeing Romans and Hammered Coins.

BTV Digger
11-23-2018, 11:21 AM
Really nice Dave. Heck, those look better than many of my cornfield IHs! Hey, have you or any of your friends attempted to locate and/or detect possible Roman/Germanic battle sites? Not all of those have been discovered and there were quite a few including the campaigns of Germanicus in the early 1 century AD after the Varian disaster. I've read quite a bit on Roman history and been to Rome a few years back so I find your discoveries, especially the Roman stuff quite neat.

John