PDA

View Full Version : Tiny shoe buckle, confused snake

Lodge Scent
11-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Hiked out to a colonial era spot that I hadn't been to several years. You can see in the pic below why I haven't been there in a while. The site is TOUGH to hunt. Very thick. There is a cellar hole just beyond that tangle of vines. It had only gotten thicker over the years. Just a few small patches clear enough to swing a coil.

https://i.imgur.com/oCOvC6F.jpg

Had no luck other than a couple of shot caps. But on the hike out I got a screamer and dug this complete knee buckle or small shoe buckle.

https://i.imgur.com/rRJGaNp.jpg

The biggest surprise find of the day was when I pulled into my driveway, got out of my car and almost stepped on this garter snake. I don't recall ever seeing a snake this late in the year. It was very lethargic to say the least with the temps only in the 40's. We had 2 days in the low teens earlier in the week. Maybe all the rain we had last night flooded him out. It made a halfhearted attempt to bite me when I picked it up to put it under my front steps. I had seen a couple hanging around the shrubs near the steps this summer.

https://i.imgur.com/FhXiqLG.jpg

Jeff

Digger_O'Dell
11-25-2018, 05:06 PM
Cool buckle! Looks wet and tough swinging for sure, and looks like an area I hunted in my area. Had to crawl through the vines and brush to get to the foundation. Wish I could say it was worth it.

Digger Don
11-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Congrats on the cool buckle! Nice find for sure!!

OxShoeDrew
11-26-2018, 07:12 AM
I glad you're able to get out, Jeff. I tried the day before yesterday but it took 5min to dig one target, trying to break the ice. Cute buckle! Looks like a child's shoe buckle but the boys will chime in. :congrats:

aloldstuff
11-26-2018, 10:58 AM
Jeff, great buckle and good job trying to save the snake.

The Rebel
11-26-2018, 01:51 PM
Nice job on the buckle! Those sites are tough but the goodies are in the thick of it, where most people don't go. Bring a pair of lopers or a machete and really get in there.

WTG on saving the snake, they are good at keeping the critters away.

del
11-26-2018, 05:55 PM
Just look at the water in that hole ! I was just telling some friends that the conditions are more like early spring after the thaw than late fall . The buckle is a nice one probably just pre 1750's , congrats and keep hitting that place .

calabash digger
11-26-2018, 06:04 PM
Nice one!

Lodge Scent
11-26-2018, 06:46 PM
Cool buckle! Looks wet and tough swinging for sure, and looks like an area I hunted in my area. Had to crawl through the vines and brush to get to the foundation. Wish I could say it was worth it.

Yeah, I wasn't in the mood to crawl through that stuff DO'D. Last time I was there I actually had a thorn pierce my ear lobe :lol:

Congrats on the cool buckle! Nice find for sure!!

I am always happy to get a complete buckle DD. Another 200 and I will catch up to Dan.

I glad you're able to get out, Jeff. I tried the day before yesterday but it took 5min to dig one target, trying to break the ice. Cute buckle! Looks like a child's shoe buckle but the boys will chime in. :congrats:

Ah Drew, time to head back into the woods my friend where the ground never freezes. ;)

Jeff, great buckle and good job trying to save the snake.

Yeah Al, I considered bringing into the house to let it warm up a bit BUT I am not positive that me or the snake would have gotten a warm welcome from Mrs. Lodge Scent.

Nice job on the buckle! Those sites are tough but the goodies are in the thick of it, where most people don't go. Bring a pair of lopers or a machete and really get in there.

WTG on saving the snake, they are good at keeping the critters away.

Rebel, what that site needs is a good brush fire;)

Just look at the water in that hole ! I was just telling some friends that the conditions are more like early spring after the thaw than late fall . The buckle is a nice one probably just pre 1750's , congrats and keep hitting that place .

Yep, it was mucky indeed Dan. As the Supreme Bucklemeister Laureate, would you consider that a shoe or knee buckle.

Nice one!

Thanks CD.

Donnie B
11-28-2018, 05:31 PM
Nice buckle! Your next one will probably be a snake buckle! :rofl:

Lodge Scent
11-29-2018, 09:03 PM
I hope you are right Donnie!