PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!

aloldstuff
11-30-2018, 10:29 AM
So I have many Riker display boxes in my living room. Is there a method that anyone uses to keep the items in place...so that I can display them in an upright position?????

thanks

Al

Donnie B
11-30-2018, 10:48 AM
I noticed some photos of a display last year at one of the shows where someone had spent time to affix items in the displays for upright viewing. I can't recall exactly how it was done but I'm sure it was time consuming work. It was a really nice display. Every time I retrieve one of my displays from the lock box I have the same problem in that items get jumbled around.

Digger Don
11-30-2018, 11:54 AM
my wife used a glue gun on few of mine

Full Metal Digger
11-30-2018, 02:09 PM
Al,
I found if I put several pages of newspaper behind the foam it increases the thickness and then I really have to mash it all down putting the glass cover back on. Once I stick the 4 pins in the objects can't slide because of the friction. I also put of piece of colored felt cloth on top of the foam to help the items grip better.

aloldstuff
11-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I now have something to do over the winter.

Ill Digger
12-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Good topic Al!
I've done a Rikers case for every year of detecting. I have the same issues , that some if the items are to big and heavy for the foam alone to support them in the case, so I'm forced to keep them all flat and stacked together. Which stinks, because now if you want look at a certain one, you have to unstack and restack them all. I watched a friend of mine make up a display case for some of his nicer, broken, Indian artifacts. He lit a candle and would use hot wax. He'd pour a little puddle of wax where he wanted the next piece and set the piece in the wax. He was using a picture frame with no foam, just a piece of cardboard. I've often thought about trying that, but some of the items would get wax wedged up into places that you don't want it to. That's why I haven't tried that method yet. But I suppose if you had a bunch of items that couldn't get impregnated with the wax like, maybe shankless buttons, or even coins it'd probably work ok. He said he's able to take them out and the wax pops right off.

aloldstuff
12-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Good topic Al!
I've done a Rikers case for every year of detecting. I have the same issues , that some if the items are to big and heavy for the foam alone to support them in the case, so I'm forced to keep them all flat and stacked together. Which stinks, because now if you want look at a certain one, you have to unstack and restack them all. I watched a friend of mine make up a display case for some of his nicer, broken, Indian artifacts. He lit a candle and would use hot wax. He'd pour a little puddle of wax where he wanted the next piece and set the piece in the wax. He was using a picture frame with no foam, just a piece of cardboard. I've often thought about trying that, but some of the items would get wax wedged up into places that you don't want it to. That's why I haven't tried that method yet. But I suppose if you had a bunch of items that couldn't get impregnated with the wax like, maybe shankless buttons, or even coins it'd probably work ok. He said he's able to take them out and the wax pops right off.

Thanks Tim, Yeah with the larger and smaller items mixed in they tend to move....a lot. The wax may be the way to go.