PDA

View Full Version : My breast find ever!

JdsCoins
12-18-2018, 01:40 AM
Yeah. I haven't posted here in forever! I haven't detected as much this year compared to past years, and apart from a few good videos I posted this year on Youtube, many of my hunts recently have been shorter ones and/or at rather uneventful locations. But I'm finally getting back into the groove. :) Last year I purchased an 1886 farmhouse here in the rolling hills of Tennessee. It's a cool location, because there's a natural spring below the house, and directly across the road is a small cemetery that is older than the house (there's a war of 1812 veteran buried there!) I knew that due to the strategic built location, there could possibly some older items floating around somewhere on the hill. The house has had extensive work over the years and much of the yard had been excavated, so I never found much old stuff other than an 1898 indian head cent, some wheats cents and a few relics here and there. Today, I went next to the old pig pen around where the fields start, to start looking for any non-ferrous targets. Low and behold, in about a 5x5 yard patch I found 4 relics that easily pre-date the house. 3 flat buttons (the broken one is the first tombac I've ever dug) followed up by the find that blew me away! I'm still in shock that this was on my property, along with some colonial buttons. Now I need to try and figure out why they're here. I've heard some rumors from local descendants about a carpetbagger murder near my property, so maybe there's something to these crazy old stories! :shocked04:

Full Metal Digger
12-18-2018, 04:57 AM
Nice finds JD! Does your house come with acreage?

aloldstuff
12-18-2018, 05:25 AM
Welcome back and thanks for posting those great finds. They surely do predate the house and I hope that you will be able to keep on digging those type of relics....:thumbsup02:

Bucknut
12-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Awesome find! And welcome back.

Tony Two-Cent
12-18-2018, 08:34 AM
Nice to see a post from you, JD! Huge congrats on the breast plate! Is it Civil War era or is it earlier than that?

JdsCoins
12-18-2018, 11:29 AM
Nice finds JD! Does your house come with acreage?

Hey Dave! I only have 1.3 acres, but my neighbor owns the fields on 3 sides of my house and I have full reign to detect them. I'm going to hunt them this week while the grass is really low. :)

JdsCoins
12-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Nice to see a post from you, JD! Huge congrats on the breast plate! Is it Civil War era or is it earlier than that?

Hey Tony! I'm not an expert on these types of relics, but I'm told the breast plate is 1830's ish. :)

Digger Don
12-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Some nice finds there JD. You know if you found those that there are more goodies waiting to be found.
Glad to see you posting here again!!

JdsCoins
12-18-2018, 02:22 PM
Some nice finds there JD. You know if you found those that there are more goodies waiting to be found.
Glad to see you posting here again!!

Hey Don! Good to hear from you. I gotta catch up on some of your videos! HH :)

Full Metal Digger
12-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Hey Don! Good to hear from you. I gotta catch up on some of your videos! HH :)

Don't bother JD, they're all the same. Indian head, Indian head, Indian head, silver half. Indian head, Indian head, seated dime, silver half. Indian head, shield nickel, seated dime, and oh, another silver half... You get the picture. :envious:

Bucknut
12-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Don't bother JD, they're all the same. Indian head, Indian head, Indian head, silver half. Indian head, Indian head, seated dime, silver half. Indian head, shield nickel, seated dime, and oh, another silver half... You get the picture. :envious:

Says the guy who goes 400 year old hammered silver, 400 year old hammered silver, 500 year old buckle in like new condition, 400 year old hammered silver, 400 year old hammered silver, 500 year old buckle in like new condition, 400 year old hammered silver, 400 year old hammered silver, 500 year old buckle in like new condition and then a 1800 year old roman coin.

Yep we are pretty monotonous here on AD. For me its war nik, war nik, war nik, war nik, wheatie.

Digger Don
12-18-2018, 04:06 PM
Well guys, we all need to get together for a hunt. what a wrap up that would be.:lolsign:

OxShoeDrew
12-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Says the guy who goes 400 year old hammered silver, 400 year old hammered silver, 500 year old buckle in like new condition, 400 year old hammered silver, 400 year old hammered silver, 500 year old buckle in like new condition, 400 year old hammered silver, 400 year old hammered silver, 500 year old buckle in like new condition and then a 1800 year old roman coin.
:lol:
That's an amazing find, and one Ive never thought about, never mind find. Incredible! Glad you're back!

MIKE54
12-20-2018, 03:35 PM
Way to go on those nice relics. I enjoy your videos and welcome back!

del
12-20-2018, 04:53 PM
Hey JD , great to hear from you again ! The tombac suggests some early activity (1750's to about 1810) and the plate is indeed an 1839 patterned type but was widely used from the 1850's to just after the Civil War . great finds sir !

Donnie B
12-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Great read and awesome find. Probably dropped by a Yankee soldier requisitioning Southern pigs!

badgers325
12-31-2018, 08:41 AM
Thanks for sharing.