PDA

View Full Version : Noob in Oregon

pitrow
12-27-2018, 12:22 PM
Hi all, name's Mike, and I'm interested in getting back into metal detecting. Well, really getting started. Back in the mid-2000's I was into prospecting and eventually bought a used Tesoro lobo supertraq. I only managed to use it a couple times before life got in the way. I'm trying to get back into prospecting, and with that using my detector more, not just for nugget shooting but coin/relic hunting as well. I know the LST is geared more towards nuggets than anything else, but I figure it should do ok for finding coins etc.

Anyway, I'm in Newberg, about 30 mins SW of Portland. Is there anyone local here that might be willing to go detecting with me?

also, I'm looking to get a pin pointer. Are the cheap chinese ones on amazon worth it, or should I spend the money and get a name brand one?

Thanks,
Mike

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forum, Mike! We're glad you joined us. :yes:

Regarding your pinpointer question, it's true that "you get what you pay for." Personally, if you can swing it I would pay a little more for a name brand pinpointer. You will be much happier in the long run.

Best of luck with your prospecting and metal detecting. I hope you find some great stuff.

aloldstuff
12-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Mike, welcome from western MA. Tony is right on with you get what you pay for. Good luck with your prospecting and have you checked to see if there is a local metal detecting club near you?

pitrow
01-01-2019, 01:44 PM
Would this be a decent pin pointer? It’s not the Garrett carrot, but it is a Garrett at least. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F22 3306337223

OxShoeDrew
01-02-2019, 05:14 AM
Hi Mike and Happy New Year! The auction that already ended was the original black garrett pin pointer and would be fine. That's what I use. The large "we found something similar" pic is just the mount, which you probably already know. Welcome to the group and I look forward to your posts!

del
01-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Hello Mike and welcome to the forum

khouji123
01-09-2019, 08:04 PM
Hello Mike, welcome to both of us. :)

Cooper
01-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the forum from ohio

Ill Digger
01-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Hey Mike! :waving:
Welcome to the forum from the cornfields of Illinois!

And yes the plain black original Garrett pinpointers are great units!

OxShoeDrew
01-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Like a knucklehead, I just lost my pinpointer. So, coincidentally, I'm also in the market. I'd never heard of the Deteknix Xpointer before but it looks really good...and much cheaper than the Pro Pointer.

Magnafique
01-28-2019, 10:37 PM
Hey Mike, Tom here in Seaside Oregon. Just received my new Garrett Ace 400 detector with Ace Pin Pointer. I have a couple more accessories coming. This will be my first attempt at Detecting. Perhaps after we get acquainted with our detectors we could meet for some detecting. Again, welcome to the forum.

Tom

Jeff (or)
01-30-2019, 12:41 AM
Welcome to the forum from N. California.
Jeff