PDA

View Full Version : Last few hunts

del
01-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Just showing some of the better goodies from the last few hunts.

November was a snowy day but it didn't let it stop me from finding this huge silver plate shoe buckle frame.

December 22nd I got out with Donnie and the Yingling Brothers. We found an early cabin site but I suspect the settler's who lived here moved on after a very short time and was very poor from the lack of any real finds.
65811 65812

Some sites that day did produce a few goodies. A very nice decorated tombac button.

along with a few other buttons , a horse rosette , one counterfeit king George II half penny an 1875 indian penny.

January 1st I was out again with Donnie , Heavymetalnut and Rick Yingling and did pretty well.

First find in the morning was

followed by a 1828 matron head large cent

a while later I got a first for me a very worn yet beautiful greenish-blue 1711 French 6 deniers coin

this is what the coin looked like new.

The woods are so nice to be in this time of year (with no snow ) a real rarity.

thanks for reading all.

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
01-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Lots of great finds especially for this time of year. Well done!

Full Metal Digger
01-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Great finds Del! It's interesting the differences in style between the Colonial shoe buckles there and the ones being worn over here in Europe during the same period. The 6 deniers is interesting too. Over here they used LVDIVICUS XIIII or LVD XIIII on the coinage but the coins meant for the French colonies were different. Yours actually says LOVIS XIIII. It's these little bits of history that I'm finding most interesting! Glad you were able to hunt this time of year. Best wishes for 2019! Dave.

Bucknut
01-04-2019, 09:50 AM
Beautiful coins and relics there! I really like that French coin...really nice patina on it!

The Rebel
01-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Very nice finds Dan!

badgers325
01-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Wow! What a different world you guys live in out there. I get stoked when I find something 1890s or later. I need to start taking my metal detector with me on business trips out East.

OxShoeDrew
01-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Dan, is that buckle is an oldie? You think early 1700s? Almost looks as though the chape is too big for the frame and of a later style. That matron should come out perfect!! I've never even heard of a deniers! What the heck was that Indian head doing there? :lol: Nice job...next time say hi to the boys for me! Lets hope this weather continues!

Donnie B
01-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Congrats my friend! That last picture is the best because it shows off that turquoise colored Six Deniers next to the blue pottery shard. That was an awesome find and I was in absolute awe when I was the second person to touch it after it was lost 300 years ago.

Digger Don
01-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Amazing Del!! To find those beauties this time of year, absolutely amazing!! :congrats:
You always seem to find the good stuff :clapping:

RIdirtdigger
01-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Nice finds. Love the shoe buckles.

calabash digger
01-06-2019, 05:19 PM
Nice finds!

Lodge Scent
01-08-2019, 05:27 PM
Some nice finds there Dan. That's a handsome button and I love that deniers. Just the two shoe buckles ??? :envious:

aloldstuff
01-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Love that decorated tombac button. Very nice pictures and the woods looked calming. Congrats on the keepers.
The site where you got the counterfeit copper at the same one where Donnie got his?

del
01-09-2019, 06:49 PM
Lots of great finds especially for this time of year. Well done!

Chris its great digging right now , the only time I really enjoy hiking in the woods

Great finds Del! It's interesting the differences in style between the Colonial shoe buckles there and the ones being worn over here in Europe during the same period. The 6 deniers is interesting too. Over here they used LVDIVICUS XIIII or LVD XIIII on the coinage but the coins meant for the French colonies were different. Yours actually says LOVIS XIIII. It's these little bits of history that I'm finding most interesting! Glad you were able to hunt this time of year. Best wishes for 2019! Dave.

I like the little bits of history To Dave , hope your winter is just as mild .

Beautiful coins and relics there! I really like that French coin...really nice patina on it!

Thank you Bucknut

Very nice finds Dan!

I hope your taking advantage of the weather Roger

Wow! What a different world you guys live in out there. I get stoked when I find something 1890s or later. I need to start taking my metal detector with me on business trips out East.

We will set you up on some sights if your ever out this way .

Dan, is that buckle is an oldie? You think early 1700s? Almost looks as though the chape is too big for the frame and of a later style. That matron should come out perfect!! I've never even heard of a deniers! What the heck was that Indian head doing there? :lol: Nice job...next time say hi to the boys for me! Lets hope this weather continues!

Drew the buckle looks like the original chape and tongue may had been replaced with the iron ones and do seem just a bit long for the frame .

Congrats my friend! That last picture is the best because it shows off that turquoise colored Six Deniers next to the blue pottery shard. That was an awesome find and I was in absolute awe when I was the second person to touch it after it was lost 300 years ago.

Thanks Donnie , that day was a lot of fun .

Amazing Del!! To find those beauties this time of year, absolutely amazing!! :congrats:
You always seem to find the good stuff :clapping:

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good Don :lol:

Nice finds. Love the shoe buckles.

Thanks Jim

Nice finds!

Thank you sir

Some nice finds there Dan. That's a handsome button and I love that deniers. Just the two shoe buckles ??? :envious:

I'm on pace for a great year for shoe buckles Jeff ;)

Love that decorated tombac button. Very nice pictures and the woods looked calming. Congrats on the keepers.
The site where you got the counterfeit copper at the same one where Donnie got his?

Yes Al , this particular patch of woods has about a half a dozen old homesites and the two counterfeits did come from the same site , another braided hair cent was tin plated for some reason and just down the road another KGII counterfeit was found .

Tony Two-Cent
01-22-2019, 04:12 PM
I'm not sure how I missed this post. Very respectable finds, Dan, especially for this time of year! I love that beautiful green 1711 French 6 deniers coin! The silver plated shoe buckle frame is very cool also.

Congrats on the nice winter finds! :clapping:

CyberSage
01-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Very nice finds for the middle of Winter, Dan! That Deniers is almost in the 1600s! Wow, what a rush to find something that old. Thanks for sharing the hunts!

Noah
01-30-2019, 08:39 PM
Nice getting out in the woods for sure. Thanks for sharing your story. Great finds too! :)