PDA

View Full Version : Awesome start to 2019! Two brass kettle points.

RIdirtdigger
01-05-2019, 12:19 PM
I apologize for my inactivity on this forum. It was a very busy 2018 for me. Anyways I’m planning on being on here more this year.
Yesterday I met up with two of my friends Sam and Isaac. We headed to a potential cellar in Massachusetts I had mapped out early in 2018 but never was able to get to it until now. After about an hour hike in we finally found the site. It was obvious there was a mill here at some point. There was a nice old (now gone) stone dam built right next to the cellar hole. The cellar itself was very quiet and didn’t have much iron. Finally I get a repeatable midtone on the cellar hole lip and pull out a small brass point. I immediately you knew I had my first ever brass kettle Point! :yahoo: This had been on my bucket list for a long time. About an hour later on the other side of the cellar hole lip I get a similar signal and find ANOTHER brass kettle point. This one is slightly bent but I’m not complaining. Never thought I’d find two in one hunt. Besides the kettle points, I found a nice tombac button with a Tudor rose design and some other relics. Sam got a two copper spill (both colonial coppers) and Isaac’s best find was a holed capped bust half dime. Overall can’t think of a better way to start off 2019!

del
01-05-2019, 02:21 PM
No apolgies necessary Jim , life and important obligations happen to us all at times . Glad your back and back to detecting .:yes: Love the kettle points and say hello to Sam and Isaac for me ! The "tudor rose tombac is a very cool and interesting find as well .

Dan

The Rebel
01-05-2019, 05:06 PM
WTG on the points!

fyrffytr1
01-05-2019, 09:34 PM
Could that rose button be an early British Navy one? I posted this link in another thread but you might want to check it out as well.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/navy%20buttons.htm

Full Metal Digger
01-06-2019, 02:43 PM
That is one of the best looking kettle points I've ever seen! Love the little tangs at the back. Well done and congrats.

OxShoeDrew
01-06-2019, 03:01 PM
Super finds, Jim! I've said this before but i think I'd ignorantly throw a kettle point in my junk pouch if I ever found one, thinking it was another corset part or something. I'm glad you were aware!
Good eye on that button, fyrffytr1! Let us know if you get any more info, Jim. Pretty cellar hole too! Nice and old!

calabash digger
01-06-2019, 05:17 PM
awesome!

Lodge Scent
01-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Great hunt! Kettle points are very cool finds.

fyrffytr1
01-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Here is a copy of a page from an English button website that shows buttons very similar to yours that are listed as Navy. I also included a link to the site page as well.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/navy%20buttons.htm

aloldstuff
01-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Jim, very nice start to 2019. I would be with Drew as far as throwing a kettle point in my junk pouch...:lol:.