PDA

View Full Version : Historical Cuff Links?

Full Metal Digger
01-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Hi Diggers,

A couple weeks ago I found a pair of cuff links at the siege camp. This siege camp was used for at least 4 different sieges that span from the 1630s to the 1730s. The siege dates I have found through my research are 1630s, 1676, 1688, and 1734. The fortress was destroyed after the last siege in 1734.

I got a choppy foil signal that was very shallow. I kicked the leaves to the side and the target moved with the leaves. A sure sign of modern tin foil but for some reason I decided to use my pin pointer and find the actual piece of tin foil. Can you imagine how surprised I was to find a pair of cuff links laying in the leaves? Not just any cuff links though. This one depicts portraits of King George II and his wife Caroline of Ansbach. They were married from 1705 to 1737 so that pretty much narrows down the date they were made. My guess is these cuff links were lost during the siege of 1734. I have scoured the internet and have not found any other cuff links that depict them so I don't know how rare they are.

Interestingly when I showed them to my friend who told me about this site he sent me a picture of the other half of the set that he found there about 5 years ago!

Here is some pics. I'm still slowly cleaning them up so hopefully they will look even better in the future.

del
01-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Commemorative cufflinks are not terribly uncommon , these probably celebrated their marriage or a special anniversary. I've seen one other cufflink found here (down south) years ago but I would agree Dave they are a very special piece of history and great find .

Dan

OxShoeDrew
01-06-2019, 01:08 PM
Wow, what a surprise! Have you been there a year yet, Dave? Keep it going! :congrats:

Full Metal Digger
01-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Wow, what a surprise! Have you been there a year yet, Dave?

Drew, I've been here 9 months now. I'm just hoping the next 2 years and 3 months are just as exciting. I do miss door knocking and detecting with my buddies back in Illinois though.

calabash digger
01-06-2019, 05:17 PM
congrats!

Digger_O'Dell
01-06-2019, 06:54 PM
Nice find! Sometimes you just have to follow your gut feeling and not ignore those sometimes trashy signals.

Digger Don
01-07-2019, 07:02 PM
That's a great find Dave. Very cool.
Are you coming home yet????

Lodge Scent
01-08-2019, 05:40 PM
Very cool find!

Nothing personal Dave, but I think we will all be bummed when you do eventually come back to the states. Who's going to keep us entertained with those awesome finds?

aloldstuff
01-09-2019, 05:48 PM
The odds of your buddy finding the other half of those cufflinks.....amazing. Have you picked up any of the German language yet?